It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

Toobcherished HB User
Exclamation Complex Cyst onr Right Ovary and Fibroid

Hi! I am 33 years old with two kids. I went to my primary care doc who is an interist complaining of extreme exhaustion. I have had a low wbc and rbc count since October and am severly anemic. Doc ordered a bunch of test to get to the bottom of it and placed me on iron supplements. I was asked about my periods and I explained they had been very heavy for a while now and was told a few years ago that I had an enlarged uteraus, and a fibroid that was small and would not cause me a problem. My doc insisted I go and get an internal ultrasound as well as an external one. This was last Friday.

My doc just called to say they show a complex ovarian cyst on my right ovary and I have "some" fibroids. They are referring me to a gynecologist who can get me in the quickest. I forgot to get specifics on size etc, and called and asked the nurse to mail my my report

Does the fact that I have a grandmother who died of ovarian cancer (paternal) affect how they would treat this cyst? ANyone have advice on what they think the doc will have me do? Surgery? If so what kind?

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Complex Cyst onr Right Ovary and Fibroid

Your doctors are trying to figure out what is causing your wbc and rbc to be low, and why you're severely anemic. They need to get to the bottom of this so they can treat it and get you better.

Without knowing the specifics of what they found, we really can't say for sure what procedures they may do. If they feel the complex ovarian cysts are part of the problem, they may do laproscopic surgery to get a better look and possibly treat it at the same time, or biopsy it if they feel there is a chance it's cancerous. Unless you have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene positive which increase likelihood of breast and ovarian cancer at a young age, it would be unlikely that you have cancer at your young age. What age was your grandmother when she died of ovarian cancer? If it was before 45 there is a chance you are a carrier of some genetic mutation such as BRCA1 or BRCA2.

I had fibroids and had a hysterectomy to resolve the problems from them. They can sometimes cause severe bleeding to the point you become anemic.

The internal and external ultrasounds will give your doctors a lot of information about what they need to investigate next and what may be causing your problems. I've been through various medical issues and it can be really tough mentally to play the waiting games. Just focus as best you can on one day at a time, and one step at a time.

Make sure you feel comfortable with your doctors, and seek out 2nd or even 3rd opinions if you don't feel right about the information or lack of information you're getting, or if your gut still tells you something funny is going on. You need to be your own best advocate, and you may need to really push your doctors into action. They see a lot of patients every day, and it's unfortunately not uncommon that they may not give your case the attention it needs and deserves.

Best wishes!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #3
(female)

Toobcherished HB User

Thank you so much for replying to me!

To answer your question by Grandmother was 62 when she passed with ovarian cancer. Unfortunatly she was not one to go to the doctors and simply ignored her situation until it was WAY too late. We were told the cyst was the size of a grapefruit.

After posting this message the nurse called to say she had gotten me into a local gyno for 2pm today. I new they would move quick, I had no idea it would be THIS quick. That scared me a bit more and told me what they saw was serious enough to act now. I will try to think of questions to ask before my appt. Any advice on what to ask would be appreciated.
I have read that some docs may suggest a complete hysterectomey. I feel like 33 is too early to say that I absolutely do not want to have anymore children. In fact because of Im a divorced mother of 2 who is to say I wont remarry and want atleast 1 more? Thanks for your help!

2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohands View Post
Your doctors are trying to figure out what is causing your wbc and rbc to be low, and why you're severely anemic. They need to get to the bottom of this so they can treat it and get you better.

Without knowing the specifics of what they found, we really can't say for sure what procedures they may do. If they feel the complex ovarian cysts are part of the problem, they may do laproscopic surgery to get a better look and possibly treat it at the same time, or biopsy it if they feel there is a chance it's cancerous. Unless you have the BRCA1 or BRCA2 gene positive which increase likelihood of breast and ovarian cancer at a young age, it would be unlikely that you have cancer at your young age. What age was your grandmother when she died of ovarian cancer? If it was before 45 there is a chance you are a carrier of some genetic mutation such as BRCA1 or BRCA2.

I had fibroids and had a hysterectomy to resolve the problems from them. They can sometimes cause severe bleeding to the point you become anemic.

The internal and external ultrasounds will give your doctors a lot of information about what they need to investigate next and what may be causing your problems. I've been through various medical issues and it can be really tough mentally to play the waiting games. Just focus as best you can on one day at a time, and one step at a time.

Make sure you feel comfortable with your doctors, and seek out 2nd or even 3rd opinions if you don't feel right about the information or lack of information you're getting, or if your gut still tells you something funny is going on. You need to be your own best advocate, and you may need to really push your doctors into action. They see a lot of patients every day, and it's unfortunately not uncommon that they may not give your case the attention it needs and deserves.

Best wishes!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

That's a very natural feeling at age 33 - you don't know what the future holds, and a hysterectomy would decide it for you.

Find out if you need to have your ovary removed if they can just remove the one with the cysts and keep the other.

I don't know how bad your "severe" anemia is, but ask them what is causing it, and ask if there are options to treat it besides hysterectomy before going to a more radical approach.

Just so you know, if they deem your anemia and wbc/rbc is too low, they may want you to have an immediate hysterectomy - this happened to a family friend of ours. She was severely anemic, and when she went for testing they immediately admitted her to the hospital and did an emergency hysterectomy. Her mentrual bleeding was really bad, and they had to give her a number of transfusions.

I hope this doesn't happen to you, but if it does, then remember your priorities are to put your two kids and your health first. Hopefully if it happens they can save your good ovary so you don't get slammed into instant menopause.

Best wishes as you work to get this resolved!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
(female)

Toobcherished HB User

Thanks for your reply, so you know the Anemia is pretty bad with ferritin of 7. I know they checked iron stores etc and they are WAY LOW as well but cant think of the numbers right now. I can tell you that I had a gastric bypass about 3 years ago and a bunch of the symptons I am having inclduing the stomach swelling I attributed to digestion. the Anemia I assumed was because of the gastic and not taking vitamins as I should. Back pain, I had an accident back in sept and went to physical therapy. Now I see where EVERYTHING i have eperienced ties into this thing. I am fearful that the scenario you described is what may happen. Especially by them insisting I go to the gyn the next day! Who ever heard of such! I dont have time to be sick. I have a large event for work im responsible tommorrow night and one in May thats even bigger. Of course I know I have to get my priorities straight but its still hard. I will update you when I hear.

The following user gives a hug of support to Toobcherished:
twohands (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
(female)

Toobcherished HB User

Update...

What I learned at the gyno's is thatmy uterous is slightly enlarged 10x4x5 and that my right ovary is 5x3x3 the cyst is 2.5 cm on my right ovary. My left ovary is fine at 2x1x1.5. I also have 2 fibroids, one which is on the back of my uterous and is calcified, and 1 on the inside of my uteruous.both are fairly small as welll (2 cm each).
Ok so the gyno asked right off the bat whether or not I wanted to maintain my fertility!
Because with the severe anemia and heavy bleeding she would suggest a hysterectomy. I thought that was over kill and explained that at 33 I didnt want to rule out future children or even throwing me into meno this early.

So her suggestion was to figure out away to attach the anemia first and watch the cyst to see if it would get smaller ( I didnt think complex cyst got smaller). We went over differnet birth control options but since my family have a hystery of blood clots we rulled out pills. We decided on getting an IUD right away. Her thoughts were that if we could get the IUD in (april 2), that will help the fibroids. Since we have to keep a watch on the IUD, first check will be approximate 4 to 6 weeks after IUD insertion, we will also check the right ovary to see if the cyst remains or grows or changes in anyway. If it does, we will go in and remove it laproscopically, which would mean I possibly would lose an ovary.
She said if I werent so young she would absolutely insist on the hysterectomy first.b Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
(female)

Toobcherished HB User

I just wanted to update this situation. I did get the IUD inserted on April 2 (painful)I did have a hard 24 hours after receiving it but cramping died down after. I have spotted on and off since the insertion. About a week ago while taking a walk (I am rapidly gaining weight so I am trying to counteracct it) I had an awful pain in my pelvis on the side of the right ovary where I have the cyst. It radiated all thoroughout my pelvis and it felt like I was being stabbed by a bucher knife. I sent a message to the doc and was told to take ibruprophen every 6 hours.( I am alergic to NSAID's so I take tylenol)And to keep my appointment on April 30. On April 30 they are going to check the placement of the IUD and also check the cyst to see if there is change. I will say that I have had HORRIBLE pain in my right side. I manage with meds but am so ready for this to be investigated further. I talk to my fathers side of the family and not only did my grandmother die of ovarian cancer but her mother died of breast cancer. I understand there is a link. I went to my regular pcp for a check up on my anemia. I am still awaiting results but as I was talking to her about my gyno she stopped me and said..."If you are going to have to have surgery I am going to have to see you for the preop appt and if your iron is not atleast up to an 11 you cannot have surgery!" I didn't even think about that aspect of things! Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glad to hear you got the IUD without too many problems, but sad to hear of your right-sided pain which is likely coming from the ovarian cyst.

Sounds like the next most important thing for you is to tackle your anemia problem. You need to get treated for that right away, and if I were in your shoes I'd be bugging my pcp for answers and a treatment path. Your gyno is right that your iron level needs to be at least 11 to do surgery, as it could be life threatening to have surgery with a level lower than that.

You probably already know this, but sometimes it helps to have people remind us: it would be a really good idea for you to get back on the vitamins you are supposed to be taking. You'll likely feel a lot better, and have a lot more energy.

Keep us updated on your progress, and best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
Toobcherished (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
(female)

Toobcherished HB User

Hi two hands! Thank you for your response! i have been taking my vitamins religiously since I got the results. The problem is that when you have a gastric bypass you do not absorb a portion of what you take. So getting the proper amounts can be VERY difficult . Case in point, I got a call from my pcp this morning. She told me that my results are a 10.3. Still too low but going in the right direction. Again I am taking the iron religiously but only a slight change. I am to get it to 11 before they schedule the surgery which will hopefully be late May.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I had a fibroid for which my doc put in Mirena, too. It worked for a short time, about 9 months, but the fibroid kept growing and ended up the size of a grapefruit. After those 9 months, all the sudden I started bleeding heavily without stopping which caused the Mirena to fall out (I don't know when it happened cause I never saw it). I ended up in the hospital needing multiple blood transfusions and emergency surgery to remove the fibroid. I was 37 and never had kids yet so I said to the doc to try to preserve my uterus and she ended up being able to do so. She got the fibroid out and aside from an 8 inch vertical scar and no more fibroid, I still thankfully have all my parts intact.

It depends on the location of the fibroid, the type, and the size as to whether they can remove just the fibroid or they have to take the whole uterus. I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you te differences but I know what happened to me. I can tell you that if the time comes where you start hemmoraging as I did and you're told they need to operate now or else you'll bleed to death, I think you will see that the decision will be clear. I had to sign a consent form for them to take out my uterus if it was necessary so I didn't know until I woke up in recovery whether they took it or not. But as much as I wanted to preserve my fertility, it was more important that they stopped the bleeding so I wouldn't die. And I would have given up my uterus if I had to in order to live. I think you probably would too, especially since you said you have 2 kids depending on you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
Toobcherished (04-24-2012)
Closed Thread