It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
(female)

Mamabear4life HB User
Question Hysterectomy at age 20 and its affects...

Hello Everyone! I am new to this message board, I found it while searching the web for answers to how having a hysterectomy at such a young age could attribute to my current issues. I would love to hear from any of you that may know and thank you in advance I will be 35 in a few months, like my title says I had a full Hysterectomy at the age of 20 due to over a dozen laparoscopy surgeries for severe endometriosis, removal of scar tissue, removal of cysts, etc. I was only on hormone medication for approximately one year after the hysterectomy due to the endometriosis continuing to come back (I was told the endometriosis actually feeds off of hormones and therefore I would need to be taken off of them or continue to have surgery about every 3 months, so I was taken off of them and been off them ever since) Due to my young age at the time, I never asked certain questions, frankly because I was to young to think about them. I would like to know what affect early menopause could possibly be doing to my body. I've already had spine surgery for a ruptured disk that was sticking in my spine. Is it possible my bones are already that brittle and could I have arthritis, possible rheumatoid arthritis already? I go see a rheumatologist in about a week.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Hysterectomy at age 20 and its affects...

So if you're 35 and haven't had any estrogen from your ovaries or HRT since you were about 21, that means you've been without normal amounts of estrogen for your age for around 14 years.

It's not likely your bones are super brittle yet. However, give it another 10-20 years and you could be facing brittle bones and possible osteoporis.

Are you taking calcium supplements? I like to take calcium magnesium, because taking straight calcium often causes major problems with constipation, whereas adding the magnesium in keeps your digestive tract working more normally. Has your doctor(s) told you how much calcium you should be taking daily? I would suspect they would probably want you on about 1,500 mg daily. Also, if you haven't had your vitamin D level checked be sure to get it checked - our bodies need normal vit D levels to properly absorb and utilize calcium. Taking calcium and possibly vit D supplements will go a long way to preventing you from ever getting brittle bones or other conditions.

I'm not familiar with lack of estrogen causing autoimmune conditions like RA, but you can do some Internet research to see if there is a link between the two. However, having low Vitamin D levels is now being associated with a number of autoimmune diseases like MS according to numerous studies.

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
Mamabear4life (03-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
(female)

Mamabear4life HB User

Thank you so much for the reply twohands! You are correct that I've been without it for about 14 years. The hot flashes I get are insane.

My doctor has not mentioned calcium pills nor have they checked my vitamin D level. Sounds like I have some questions to be asking the doc that I didn't know about so thank you very much for pointing this out.

I guess I will continue to research this online and see what I can come up with as well as my visit to the rheumatologist next week

Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #4
(female)

Marlene890 HB User

My name is Molly, I just happeded to find this the same way you did. Looking up some medical truths on Cirrosis of the Liver (which my younger brother has).

In answer to your question: I was 17 had 1 ovary/tube removed for a softball size cyst. By 25-1 miscarrage and no children a complete Hystorectomy for the same reason. Was told "deffinately no children" therefore had hystorectomy.
1. Will find self extremely moody, and depressed easily, may need some help later on (mentally). Would be better to start asap.
2. Get angry easily.
3. Will get a visit from Uncle Arthur. LOL! I have this in lower back, upper shoulder area and elbow of left arm.
4. Possibly Osteoporosis/Osteo/Arthiritis
5. In the event u'r ke me have no children; may be a good idea to adopt at least 1. He or she may help keep you sane. LOL
I was never allowed to do that. Men in my life already had children, and wanted no more.
6. If you are married; keep in touch with him on how you are feeling about certain things. That will help keep your marrieage in tact.
7. Do things for yourself that will make you feel good about yourself. We have a tendancy to wallow in our own self pitty.
8. Excercize regularly so as not to gain the weight that we women have a tendancy to do as we get older because of a hystorectomy.
9. Give yourself a regular Breast Exam. we early birds also have a better chance for breast cancer. No need to worry about Pap Smears especially if they took everything out. Included those ovaries.
10. Do not get on hormones if you can keep from it. They really won't do much justice, other than CANCER.
Hope I didn't scare ya any but, you asked, so thought since I am alot older; have already been there, done that, would let you know what you had to look forward to. I didn't have that. Have learned it all on my own.

Good Luck.

Closed Thread