It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

mpatrick HB User
Angry Any Way to Delay Period by a Few Days?

I have been having periods that come earlier each month. My periods used to be like clock-work, same day every month. Now they are all over the board. I have been tracking them this past year and I have been having anywhere from 27-32 day cycles. What the heck is going on!?

The problem is that I am going on vacation at the end of next month. I had this vacation planned many months ago when my period came on the first of the month. My last 3 vacations have been ruined by my period coming when it shouldn't have. I really don't want to go through this again. Is there anything I can do besides birth control? I only want to push my period back 5-7 days this month so it doesn't come until after my vacation next month. Today is the 24th and I have been having some spotting since yesterday. I am only 25 days into my cycle.

So, am I screwed or is there anything I can do?

Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Any Way to Delay Period by a Few Days?

The variance in your cycle is not unusual at all, in fact that's pretty normal. Typically the only way to have an ongoing regular cycle that never changes is to be on the pill. What you're talking about is pretty normal. Women who are considered irregular are those who are unable to plan their next period because it's literally all over the place. They also skip months on a regular basis.

That being said, aside from being on birth control, there is no other way that you can influence the timing of your period. There are plenty of old wives tales out there which I'm sure you could find on google. But as for tested and true methods, there are none. There is a drug on the market called Lysteda which is supposed to help minimize bleeding and possibly shorten the duration of your period but it's also not guaranteed. Some women get lucky with it and some have worse bleeding so it's a crapshoot.

Listen, I know you don't want to get your period while on vacation. However, I've had it happen to me and although it was annoying, I managed to get through it without losing too much of a good time. The first trip was to Hawaii, the second San Francisco and the third to Las Vegas. I had to bring extra supplies and it took up most of my suitcase and I couldn't go in the ocean but I got through it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 11:25 PM   #3
(female)

Vanilla Kiss HB UserVanilla Kiss HB UserVanilla Kiss HB UserVanilla Kiss HB UserVanilla Kiss HB UserVanilla Kiss HB UserVanilla Kiss HB User

Hello, what you have been experiencing is normal. Periods tend to arrive a little early or late. You can never expect it to come on the exact day. Even if it does come it might be a coincidence. The period cycle is quite complicated and does change with age. Changes in the body may also cause the periods to arrive early or late. There is no need to worry about it. Early periods usually result from a disruption of a woman's hormone levels. Females can have ovulation spotting normally occurs right before ovulation or during ovulation.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB Usertrystme HB User

The date that your period starts has to do with the date that you ovulated. The date from the last period to ovulation can vary from month to month but the date from ovulation to the start of your period is always the same. This is called the luteal phase. For me it is 9 days but every woman is different.

Once you have ovulated you cannot change the date that you will actually start your period.

Closed Thread