It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
(female)

Itsy83 HB User
About to have surgery & scared!

Hi, I am 29 and I live in Tennessee with my boyfriend and my son.

I have been having problems with constant pelvic and leg pain that seems to worsen during my period. I recently found out that my uterus is enlarged (about the size of someone who would be 6 weeks pregnant) and that I may also have endometriosis and possible uterine prolapse. I was also informed of a cyst right inside the opening of my vagina. I am scheduled for surgery May 22 (yikes! It's just around the corner!) and I am terrified! I feel really alone and just worrying myself to death over having surgery. I had a c-section with my son back in 2004 but it was emergency surgery and I didn't have time to sit and freak out about it. Plus I had family close by which probably makes things easier. My friends and family are 12 hours away from me now.

I am very thankful to have my boyfriend beside me through this. He's very sweet an seems to understand me not feeling good all the time. I am also thankful for my mom since she had endometriosis and an enlarged uterus and went through a hysterectomy years ago. She understands what I am going through. She's just too far away!

Is there anyone out there experiencing similar problems? I am so emotionally overwhelmed!

Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: About to have surgery & scared!

I know how you feel, I've been there. For me, the hardest part is always getting an IV. That's the part that actually scares me most about surgery. But once they get it in, I calm down a lot because that's such a traumatic thing for me.

I've had many surgeries and I still get scared beforehand every time. It's totally normal to feel that way. I'm not sure there's anything I can say that will make you less scared but a good thing to do when you get to the hospital is tell them you're panicked and ask for some Valium. They will give it to you and it will really help a lot.

Im sure you'll do fine, just keep in mind that these are routine type stuff that they probably do very often and it's not as severe as like heart or brain surgery. This shouldn't be any worse than your c-section and you got through that alright. Remember the Valium and try to take deep breaths, that always helps me calm down too. Good luck with your surgery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
cysts, endometriosis, laparoscopy, uterine enlargement, uterine prolapse