It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

blou HB User
LONG! Colposcopy / Biopsy / ECC / skip to Hyster?

At the urging of my dear sweet nurse practitioner I didn't go online to find out about these procedures, but afterward was so freaked out here I am. I try to find humor where I can - so i'll try to sprinkle some in here - it does not mean I don't take this seriously.

I had this amazing (read with LOTS of sarcasm) trio on Thursday, just in time to have my results as a birthday present - so they better be good. I'm no amateur to gyno prodding, 3 miscarriages, menstrual aspiration, 3 live births, d & c, tubal, endometrial biopsy, uterine ablation, and now I add colposcopy, cervical biopsy and endocervical whatever to my resume. I've also due to retirement received these at the hands of two different Gynos. Oddly my male dr with huge hands had a much gentler touch and his procedures were much more easily dealt with than my current female vulture.

Went in fairly apprehensive - not unusual - dr found me in fetal position in the chair prior to a bone marrow biopsy - I just don't deal well, hence NP order to not to borrow trouble from others... I might add too that I have only ever seen this lady vulture under bad circumstances, so I was expecting the worst.

Nurse explained procedure, risks, what to expect during and after, restrictions the whole gamma - nice lady first time I've met her, and quite happy with her openness and explanations. Dr comes in shows me reports, gives me pamphlets and gets me into position. Visual, easy peasy, still hate the speculum, but that's from a horrid miscarriage and I've learned to deal - swabbing - kinda tickled - I was thinking I've got this all wrong - they should do this instead of Pap EVERY time! Then they broke out the hardware. I didn't see any of them, but I heard the metal clanking the metal as she passed it through the spec, kinda like wind chimes (hey I'm trying to be positive here LOL) and then there it was without additional warning, inside my canal - HELLO! now GET OUT!!! The cramping was labor like for me (low pain tolerance), but over more quickly than a contraction. Nurse had advised me to expect three biopsies, this ONE and two pinch types, PHEW, glad that one was over. Guess nurse failed to mention this to Dr. She returned to my canal 3 more times. Each time I took a deep cleansing type breath relaxing and thinking it was over, but surprise, she was back for more. I tried to hold perfectly still so not to injure anything with sudden movement - and held my breath - maybe I should have groaned or something to let her know it hurt that bad and to stop! (History - I've made her stop whatever she did at ER during my horrid miscarriage - told her I'd take my chances. - that worked well for me). I guess my biggest gripe was that she didn't say a word about not enough, didn't look good, missed a spot, SOMETHING, ANYTHING would have been nice - even a simple "one more" or "again" would have been appreciated. I'm not sure why she didn't warn me even once - afraid I'd tense maybe?? By the time she got to the pinch ones, they were totally bearable and easy to deal with, but with my uterus now contracting regularly as punishment for this repeated violation, I think she could have removed my big toe and I would have merely flinched LOL.

If you have not had this procedure yet, PLEASE READ: Sounds bad, but I TRULY attribute this to the practitioner. I think I'd have been fine with my prior dr, and will NOT allow HER to do this to me again - but it was not bad enough for me to refuse this test with a different DR. DO make sure you like and trust your care giver - I was reminded just how important this is.

Questions:
Has anyone else experienced 4 ecc's at the same sitting? As soon as I was able to sit up and look her in the eye, I asked her what she SAW. Understanding that visual doesn't mean so much as the lab readings, but thought maybe it was terribly ugly or something. She only sad that what she found was near the canal. Do you think she's anticipating that the main issue is inside?

IF the issues are all in the canal, is the LEEP which she has already practically prepared me for really the best solution?? Seems like I'm going to have a gi-normous canal if they try to leep this, or would they dialate me to do this and take the minimum?

After the tubal & ablation closing the baby factory down, why should I be concerned to save my cervix. If it's broken too why not just go to hysterectomy and avoid this emotional roller coaster every few moths/years, and eliminate the chance of cancer entirely. I don't get why I want to just shave it every few years if it isn't going to be needed to . I have no medical history due to a sealed adoption when I was 6 weeks old, so I can neither confirm or dispel what my biological mother dealt with.

Thanks for your patience and hopefully I haven't put to sleep anyone who might respond!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
biopsy, colposcopy, ecc, hysterectomy