It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
Painful pap smears

I'm scheduled for a pap test next week and it's been about 4 or 5 years since I've had one because they're so painful. Last time, I started crying during it. It was so embarrassing. But I guess when someone else is causing pain to your lady parts it can trigger an emotional response. anyway, I've read that it's not supposed to hurt, so why does it? The regular pelvic exam with the doctor's finger is fine as far as physical comfort goes, but that big metal thing doesn't look like it's designed very well. How is putting a flat thing in a round hole and stretching it not supposed to cause pain?
Could the pain be because I'm a virgin and possibly still have a hymen?

Last edited by Krista2882; 06-12-2012 at 07:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

solofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB Usersolofelix HB User
Re: Painful pap smears

Hi,
I totally understand how you feel. For me it was an awful experience (I'd rather go to the Dentist) I went ten years after my previous one and swore I'd never have another. However I had one because of a Menopausal problem a year ago and found it just as bad. It will be a long time before I go again.
Other people I speak to dont seem to have this problem.
I'm not a virgin so I dont think that makes a difference, I'm not sure though.
We are designed to give birth to babies (had mine by C.Section) so that may have some bearing on it.

Solofelix.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

They have a smaller size speculum. If you ask, they should use it instead. And yes, if you are a virgin, the size can be an issue. Talk with the doctor prior to the exam and express your concerns.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

Thank you both!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hi, don't worry your perfectly normal. Some women, myself included are just smaller in the vaginal area. Everyone is not made the same size. And if your smaller and the Dr. uses an average size speculum it can range from uncomfortable to painful. As the previous poster suggested, ask your Gyn to use a smaller speculum. If he/she can't accommodate you, I'd find a Gyn that can. I've always had painful pap smears and even though I've had a complete hysterectomy still have to have one each year because I've had cervical cancer. A very nice nurse actually suggested my Dr. use a smaller speculum during an exam when I just about came off the table, from that time on I've always requested it.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
(female)

I just had my appointment and the pap test hurt so bad. I asked him to use the smaller speculum and he did, but it hurt just as much or more than the last time (maybe he used the "smaller" one last time too?). It hurt as soon as he put it in, though. Like it felt like it was scraping me the whole way in. And I was like "Ow ow ow!" and then he moved it a bit and I almost flew off the table. Once he got in place it wasn't as bad, but it still hurt. But he seemed surprised that it hurt so much. And said twice, "And you said you're not sexually active?" and I said no, and then he asked me if it hurt on the outside or inside, so I told him inside. So he said he thinks it's the stretching I'm feeling and it's not actually hitting anything. But for me, it was mostly the initial getting it into place that hurt the worst. Like I said, it felt like the stupid metal edge was scraping me as it went in. It even hurt when he swabbed that big q-tip thing in there- I could feel it on my cervix and I actually felt some pain from that.
Then he did the exam with his finger and that hurt too! It usually doesn't hurt at all, but this time he did it after the pap test when he usually does it before. So it was already hurting in there and his finger just aggravated what the speculum did. If it hurts this much to put something in there that he said was about the same size as his finger, then is it going to be that painful when I have sex??? (I'm still a virgin).
He did seem like he was in a hurry. I wrote down the wrong time for my appt and was 15 minutes late, and they had to fit me in somehow so I think he was trying to keep on time as much as he could so he wasn't very gentle. He did put the speculum in much faster than he has before. The first time I had a pap it was with a different dr. And it hurt a lot. Then I didn't go for a long time until I developed a huge ovarian cyst and they did a pap test while I had that exam done. The doctor was pretty rough and it hurt a lot. She ended up not being able to do the surgery I needed so they had another doctor in the practice do it, and he's the gyno that I kept because he definitely wasn't as rough as that woman doctor. But this time it hurt the worst, and I think part of it was because he just kind of pushed it in there too quickly, maybe?
Man, it still hurts now and it's been about an hour. I feel like I'm all bruised in there. Is this how it felt for you guys (or anyone else who wants to chime in)?
Thanks.

Last edited by Krista2882; 06-20-2012 at 11:27 AM.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Sorry you had this problem. It really should not "hurt" - be uncomfortable maybe, but not hurt. Perhaps you were a little tense? That can really impact it. Maybe try a valium before next time. It sounds like you are going to a clinic where you don't make an appointment with a specific doctor. If you can, try switching to a practice where you can do that.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
(female)

No, I am able to make an appointment with a specific doctor. It was just that I had never gone to a gynecologist until my early 20s, and I saw the same doctor my mom sees. I didn't go again for a few years because I always heard you didn't have to go if you never had sex. But I had the ovarian cyst a few years later and the hospital where I had my tests just set me up with an appointment with a gynecologist. So I saw that doctor and she was going to do my surgery. But she was going on vacation and I couldn't wait two weeks because I was in so much pain so they had this other doctor from the same group do the surgery. I had to go to him for my follow-up appointments and I liked him so I just continued to go to him. But like I said, it's been about 4 years because I've been avoiding the pap tests because they're painful.
My pap tests with the other two doctors hurt, too, so I'm not sure it's because of the way the doctors are doing it...
I asked my mom this afternoon if it hurt for her to get pap tests and she said it used to until after she gave birth to me and my brother and now it doesn't hurt anymore.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User

Hon, I'd try to stick with a woman Gyno from now on and explain your problem, she's likely to be more sympathetic. Also perhaps ask them to use extra KY jelly (lubricant) before inserting the speculum, so the insides of your vagina aren't feeling scraped. You can actually use some of that now to soothe the painful feeling in your vaginal walls. It's not expensive you can get it at any pharmacy or grocer. The generic is the same as brand and just as safe. A little goes a long way, just put a small amount on the tip on your index (pointer) finger and gently insert in your vagina and smooth along vaginal walls. It will feel cool and comforting.

As for it being painful when they did the smear with the long Qtip, that can happen if they're in a hurry and rub too hard.

Hopefully once you've lost your virginity this will be less of a problem for you.

One thing you might do is purchase a slim vibrator and practice inserting it and getting used to having it inside your vagina. Use plenty of lube, or a condom. Once you adjust to that size you can increase sizes as you become more and more comfortable. Just a thought. And this would in no way compromise your virginity.

Take care,

Kat

Old 06-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks, everyone.

Closed Thread

Tags
gynecologist, painful pap tests