It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
(female)

robineggs HB User
preventing yeast infection while on bactrim (antibiotics)

Hi there,

I was prescribed bactrim for a UTI. I am on second full day of taking them and I do feel much better! The only issue I am worried about is getting a yeast infection. I bought probiotics (ultimate flora- 50 billlion) and have been taking it 3 to 4 hours before taking my bactrim twice a day. Plus I am eating yogurt at least twice a day. I bought the ultimate flora at walgreens and I didn't realize it was "Best if refrigerated" until last night. I put it in the fridge immediately, but it was out of there for like a day and a half. Should I buy more or do you think it will be ok? It is expensive, so I don't want to, but will if I have to..

Do you ladies have any other suggestions?? I heard about poking holes in one of the probiotic pills and inserting it into your vagina....sounds weird, but is this a good preventative measure? Would it hurt anything? Ugh, I hate antibiotics.

Thanks...

Old 06-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User
Re: preventing yeast infection while on bactrim (antibiotics)

Call your doc and ask to be put on something that will help protect you.

Docs used to automatically prescribe a med when they put you on an antibiotic like for a bladder infection.

I have taken many antibitocs for years for sinus infec, pneumonia and uti's without getting a yeast infec.

But this last go around with levaquin killed my pneumonia and bladder infec but left me with a yeast infec.

i was eating yogurt but not soon enough.

If you are worried you should call the doc. But definitely eat the yogurt.
Look online as to WHEN to take a probiotic tho. If you take the probiotic near the antibiotic you are wasting your time.

They need to be separated by several hours!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread