It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

bonbon1961 HB User
Swollen painful left labia

2 days ago I felt pressure in my vagina. When I urinated it hurt to use toilet tissue to wipe. I felt very swollen so I used a mirror and discovered that my left labia is swollen 5 times its normal size. It is very painful. No bump, rash or cyst. My doctor's off hours exchange sent me to the er for a obgyn consult. It was a horrible experience, a joke really. I got a young male PA who did no pelvic exam. All he did was look at the swelling (without me even being in stirrups, he didn't even have me separate my legs to view the whole area. After he did some "internet research" he told me to go off my blood pressure medicine. I told him that my blood pressure would go to 180/120 without the medicine. I politely insisted on a OBGYN consult which he refused. He then called in an older male er doc who came in the room with an attitude and did the same useless "look" as the PA. The doc also refused to call in an OBGYN. I left so angry and felt as if I was being patronized. Has anyone else had the swollen labia issue and what did it turn out to be. Have been trying ice packs but no relief or improvement in symptom. It appears to be affecting my clitoris starting last night.
I can only wish that one of those pathetic male doc develops a testicle that is swollen as large as my labia. Maybe then they may take it serious and try and help a patient in need.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Swollen painful left labia

He told you to quit your BP medicine? That is weird and dangerous.

It's probably some sort of infection, maybe a cyst that's inside where you can't clearly see it. A warm compress might help more than the ice, though it probably won't feel as nice. Ultimately, though, you need to see an actual GYN, which clearly won't happen at the ER.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
bonbon1961 (07-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
(female)

celestialkel HB User

some women have one labia that is bigger than the other, but never notice it unless it swells a little bit...it could just be irritation from certain soap/body wash...you could also have a mild infection of some kind going on...I had a yeast infection one time, and the primary symptom was swollen labia ( both ), and irritation/itching!...just to be on the safe side, you may want to go see a GYN who specializes in the female body...there is probably nothing seriously wrong, but at least you would have peace of mind and rule out anything serious ( like infection, etc.)...good luck nd keep us posted!

Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
(female)

bonbon1961 HB User

Update:
I just moved cross country and didn't have a OBGYN yet. My internal medicine doc did a pelvic and also sent me two days later to a OBGYN. They found blood and white blood cells in my urine. After induring so much pain, I couldn't believe it when the ob did a uterine biopsy with no warning. Haven't gotten the results back yet but I think I have figured out what is causing the swelling and pain. I believe I have developed a latex allergy. This all started with an annual pap exam and I noticed it got significantly worse after each doctor examined me. Glad we pay them the big bucks!
I had a diagnostic mammogram this week also and they found numerous lumps and calcifications. I'm scheduled for a Stereotactically Guided Breast Biopsy on the right breast and a Ultrasound Breast Biopsy on the left. The doctors act like these tests are painless and no medication is required but I have to say I'm a little panicky after reading all the patient comments from having these barbaric procedures done. Has anyone had experience with these tests? Are they as painful as I am reading? So tired of male doctors thinking that women can indure any test, with no medication and saying that they aren't supposed to be painful. I challenge them to have a testicle biopsy done without anythesia. It would never happen.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Yikes, not fun at all.

Could be latex allergy, or it could be one of the disinfecting chemicals that they use. For now, just tell them that you might have an allergy to latex OR to something else, and ask for nitrile gloves.

For the swelling, try a cool bath or cool compress. On the labia, just about any topical medicine could theoretically make it worse.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
(female)

bonbon1961 HB User

Thanks Jane for the advice. I will definitely follow it.

Closed Thread