It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

reba423 HB User
why do i keep gaining weight, is it age?

I've struggled with weight for a good portion of my life. In my 40s, I finally found balance. I have been athletic and driven my whole life. I did the weight watchers points program about 6 years ago, lost 15 pounds and put about 10 back on, did it again and took off about 8, and again and took of 8 again. I am an avid gym goer, I never miss a workout, I lift weights three times a week and do some form of cardio 3 -4 times a week. I walk, I swim, I kayak, I hike, you name it. I am a fish eating vegatarian and I'm careful about my diet. I eat no sweets and I limit my bread intake. On weekends I might indulge in extra bread, cheese, and I do drink a good bit of red wine as it is my lone vice. I drink it with most meals. I've been at a good weight but I just can't keep the weigh off and when I gain weight it's weird.

I'm now almost 45 and exercizing as vigorously as ever, trying new things, never missing a workout, and I just keep gaining weight. I'm done nothing different, but I can't keep weight off my body. I'm not "fat" per se, I'm very muscular but not lean enough for most of the definition to show through. I spontaneously gain weight. I've been to the doctor, tested for anything you might think of - thyroid, etc. I don't have fibroids, no tumors but I do have a new feature... a belly, which I've never had.

I travel a lot for work overseas, I'm always careful. I'm growing tired of taking away from my free time to exercise, of gettin g up extra early or finding a gym anywhere when I'm on travel, only to gain weight. I can see that my body is sporting a new coating of fat. I don't starve myself but I control what I put in my mouth. I'm usually between a size 6 and 8 but all my clothes are tight and I can just simply see that there is extra fat on my bod.y. I feel so disgusting and disgusted. What am i supposed to do, I've tried every diet trick I normally try to drop 5 pounds, nothing works anymore. I simply can't do much more activity.

Do i simply need to just starve myself to keep my goal weight. I'm so frustrated, irritated and disgusted. Does anyone have a clue what might be going on? I know I"m getting older but I am careful about everything and exercise like a madwoman.

Disgusted

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: why do i keep gaining weight, is it age?

What type thyroid blood work did your doctor do? Many doctors miss thyroid problems because they don't really understand how the blood work works. Being "in range" doesn't mean your thyroid is okay and functioning properly. If they only tested your TSH and total T4, they didn't test you well.

Do you have any other thyroid related symptoms? If so, I would have the thyroid retested and this time make sure they test the TSH, FT3, FT4 and test you for thyroid antibodies.
The TSH should be close to 1 and anything above 2 indicates a possible thyroid issue hence the reason you get the other tests as well. Your FT3 and FT4 should be in the mid to upper range, if they are low in the range, you don't have enough thyroid hormone in your system. You should test negative for antibodies if you have no thyroid issue, thyroid antibodies being present even with normal TSH means your thyroid is not functioning properly.

Many people gain some weight as they get older, but it seems yours is just spinning out of control and there is probably some reason for it. If you have more symptoms of thyroid then I'd start there and have that checked more thoroughly.
Thyroid issues can cause a lot of things you may not think of, tiredness especially in the mid afternoon, blood sugar issues, hair loss, changes in hair texture, breathing problems, heart palpitations or pounding heart, dry skin, and much more.

Hopefully you can find the answers and get back to feeling comfortable in your clothes.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Re: why do i keep gaining weight, is it age?

It posted my answer twice, so I removed this one.

Last edited by dea4; 07-10-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Closed Thread