It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
(female)

Brixie HB User
Lump under my left areola

I've suddenly discovered a hard, painful lump under the areola of my left breast today. I never noticed it before but today suddenly it was very painful and sensitive. It's maybe a bit smaller than a golf ball, slightly bean shaped. The area around it on the breast is slightly reddened too. I've had inverted nipples since I started puberty at about the age of 11 but I've never had any lumps or bumps before and assumed it was natural. I am 15 and healthy, and I know breast cancer is very uncommon in young women but my grandmother had breast cancer so there is a possibility that it could be passed down to me. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow, but still wanted to check whether there may be some other cause, I don't want to jump straight to the possibility of breast cancer. I have just finished my period too, could it be related to that possibly?

Last edited by Brixie; 07-24-2012 at 05:14 AM.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Lump under my left areola

In a woman as young as you, cancer is a very unlikely explanation. It could be a cyst or infection of some kind, instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
Brixie (07-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

blue_eyed_girl HB User

Last year I had a mamogram a few days before my 30th birthday. My OBGYN had discovered a lump on my right breast. Since then I have had a 6 month follow-up ultrasound. The lump is still there, but I keep being told it is fibrous breast tissue. It sounds similar to what you have. They gave me a phantom breast to feel. Breast cancer is hard and does not move. I could push my lump around. It is painful sometimes around ovulation or my period. I hope you get some answers.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

Brixie HB User

Thanks, it's firm but slightly squishy and I can move it around. It is still very painful and the general area where it is on my breast has gone very pink. I was reading up online earlier and read that if it is a cyst, then all that needs to be done is fluid ta/ken from it with a needle. Does anyone know whether that procedure hurts a lot

Old 07-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User

I had a needle biopsy a few months ago and it didn't hurt one bit.

Closed Thread

Tags
breast, breast cancer symptoms, lump, lump in breast