It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

BWA91 HB User
Thumbs down Low Hormone Levels, 20 years old

Bear with me, as I'm still trying to organize these thoughts in my head..

Originally I called my doctor's office because I had my period for ~3 weeks. I told them there was the possibility that I dropped one of my birth control pills, because I couldn't think of another reason why I would have my period for so long. Normally I take actives only in the birth control pack because I have Type 1 Diabetes (for 19 years) and my periods make my blood sugar completely unpredictable. They asked me to come in to do blood work just to make sure everything was okay in case I had not missed a pill.

Fast forward to today when I had my appointment to review the blood work. My estrogen and testosterone levels were low, and my progesterone level was 0. I also had very low B12 and Vitamin D. I was somewhat shocked when the doctor told me this as I had expected to go in and have them tell me nothing was wrong, I'm only 20 years old for goodness sake. He asked if I wanted to try out HRT, which I was hesitant to because I've heard side effects can be brutal. Of course he only stated the positive things it would do for me - more energy, higher sex drive, lowered depression and anxiety (which I've been being treated for for about 5 years) etc.

So my 2 questions are this:

1. Why would my hormones be that low at my age? What kind of repercussions does this have for my future- i.e. childbearing?

2. Is HRT a good idea? The sounds of the effects coming from the Dr are great, but other places I've read, not so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
(female)

Owltastic HB User
Re: Low Hormone Levels, 20 years old

Hi BWA91 - I was wondering how you are doing since you posted this. I just got back labs and all of my hormone levels were low. I also have an autoimmune disease and this seems to common with autoimmune diseases (Low Vit D is a also a common finding). I hope you're doing better.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User
Re: Low Hormone Levels, 20 years old

It's my understanding that hormone level tests aren't accurate when taking birth control pills. You have to go off them (not sure for how long) to get accurate readings. Also, B12 levels can come up low when taking BCP's but not sure if BCP's deplete B12 or if the test is just inaccurate. Since your doctor didn't know about hormone testing being inaccurate with BCP's, you may want to do some research.

Closed Thread