It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

soalive389 HB User
Could hormone imbalance be causing nausea?

I'm 20 years old and have been experiencing constant nausea for about 14 months...I went to a gastroenterologist who did an upper endoscopy and said everything looked fine. My doctor had me try different acid reflux medicines, and they help some, but still don't get rid of the nausea.

Then finally, they discovered that I had a large ovarian cyst (14 x 10cm), which I had surgery for two weeks ago; he also had to remove a small part of my ovary. Obviously I thought after the cyst was gone, the nausea would go away, but it hasn't! I feel a little better but the problem is definitely still there.

I am wondering if I could have some type of hormone imbalance? It seems like that could be linked to having the cyst (but I don't really know much about that!) And thinking about it now, I've always had heavy periods, but I just didn't think it was a big deal as long as I had them regularly. I've also been feeling more fatigued since this problem started. I'm going to my surgery follow-up appt in a week and I'll definitely ask him then, but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about this! Are hormones tested through a blood test? Will the gynecologist run those tests? I know that being put on birth control pills would be likely, but I'd just like to think there would be tests done so I'd know what the problem was for sure before starting to take them...so if anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate the input! Thanks

Last edited by soalive389; 08-02-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Could hormone imbalance be causing nausea?

Hormone imbalances , except pregnancy, usually do not cause nausea. 14 months is a very long time to feel that way. It is possible for a 20 yr old to have gall bladder disease. It would help to pay attention to when the nausea occurs in relationship to eating, movement of body or head, time of day, and any other associated symptoms, such as appetite changes or bowel changes. I would tend to see your PCP for this, and perhaps revisit the GI doctor. Nausea can be caused by many things, and can originate in the GI tract, the brain, the inner ear, be secondary to medications, etc. I would want some basic labs done to check liver function, CBC, and see if any clues pop up.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
(female)

gillianann1234 HB User
Re: Could hormone imbalance be causing nausea?

did you ever figure out what this was??? i have a similar issue, nausea since April. Tried stomach ulcer medicine, anxiety medicine, gravol, pepto bismol, antacids, nothing is working. Doctors find it "very strange" but haven't concluded anything. I have PCOS and am wondering if this could be causing the nausea as well????

Hope you're feeling better!!

Closed Thread