It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

Rectocele HB User
rectocele

I was told I had IBS years ago but always doubted that. A couple months ago, I was found to have a rectocele. I've never had children, but have had pretty bad constipation at various points. I have difficulty passing stool. (It gets stuck part way out) and some pain during intercourse. I am scheduled to have a defecography next month. Fingers crossed. I want to fix my body so I can fix my life. Work and social life have gone down the tubes because I am chained to the toilet. I either have incomplete evacuation or extreme urgency as the rectocele empties.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
(female)

debmul HB User
Re: Rectocele support

I know what you mean about your life being in upheaval from the toilet situation. I did see the rectal surgeon, and she said that with my problems, surgery would only make things worse. She suggested physical therapy with a PT that specializes in pelvic floor biofeedback. The closest one that they could come up with is 2 hours away. No way could I drive 2 hours, spend an hour in PT, then drive 2 hours home several times a week. The one that was suggested helped to find another PT that is also trained in the biofeedback that is only half an hour from me. That seems to be much better! The biofeedback is interesting. Some days, we can't do the exercises because of spasms in my abdominal and pelvic floor muscles. I've been one of those "I never saw that before" patients of every doctor I've been to
I wish you well and hope that you get some relief soon!! I'm going to continue with the PT (as long as my insurance will pay) and see if that helps. Cross your fingers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User
Re: rectocele

I truly empathsize with your situation. People have no idea what it is like to be ruled by your bowels. I am 8 weeks post op from rectocele, rectopexy and entrocele repair. All due to many years of constipation. The surgery was a breeze but the recuperation is awful. Firstly I am more constipated after surgery then before unless I stick to a very regimented high fiber diet, lots of water, exercise (walking for now) and miralax every nite. If I deviate for just one day I am backed up terribly. On the flip side I now move my bowels at least 6 times a day at all hours even during the middle of the night. As a result I have no life. I live at home afraid to go out and be away from the bathroom.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
(female)

agrajag HB User

Poppiepalace, you should be just like me after surgery. Most days i am moving my bowels around seven times and often in the night and yet at the end of this i am still much more constipated than before the surgery- it is so bizarre. So on the days you are going 6 times do you still feel more constipated i.e. do you have more incomplete evacuation than before the surgery?

Last edited by Administrator; 01-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Yes, I rarely feel fully emptied now. Before the surgery at least I had days I felt emptied and I knew what to expect but this is ridiculous. I wonder if it is even repaired. I admit to straining some after the surgery because I besides myself with being backed up. My surgeon said I could not undo his work but I wonder. Tomorrow I have an appointment with a GI doctor again to find out if this is all normal and will just take time for my bowels to settle down. In the meantime I am getting more depressed each day, so I truly empathsize with you. Let me know how you are doing and what you do for relief.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
(female)

agrajag HB User

Pp, it was explained to me that (depending on what type of resection was done and how it was performed) bowel frequency paradoxically resulting in poor bowel emptying/constipation could sometimes happen after abdominal resection rectopexy. I was told this was due to dissection of the nerves at the back of the rectum-their function can be damaged. However, I was also told that most of the time, this recovered or improved over timw. Therefore, it may be that your current poor function will get better. has your surgeon said anything like this?

Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Agrajag: Thanks for asking. After my last appointment with surgeon he seems to be done with me. I actually had 2 surgeons working on me because had so much work done and both agree that all is healing well and have no explanation for my problems, which was very frustrating. I decided to matters into my own hands to get to the bottom of this (no pun intended) because I knew my problem originally was twofold. 1. I have bacterial overgrowth in my small bowel which was diagnosed by a positive breath test and this is a cause of constipation and 2. the result of so many years of constipation I messed up my organs which had to be repaired. So now my physiology is repaired but the biology or bacterial overgrowth has not been addressed. I went back to Cedar Sinai in Los Angeles and got an appointment with the doctor who is one of the leaders in research on the subject and just started a 10 day antibotic treatment with to goal to kill the bacteria. If it doesn't work I have to do a 2 week liquid diet which I read is not all easy but is supposed to work. This doctor believes there is a cure for constipation and that I do not have to suffer any more. This has been a long journey so I am trusting him. Otherwise I live on a super high fiber diet with miralax every night followed by now multiple BM's everyday. According to the doctor it is because I use too much fiber but if I deviate at all I don't have a BM for days. So I need to get off this all or nothing train.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
(female)

agrajag HB User

"I actually had 2 surgeons working on me because had so much work done and both agree that all is healing well and have no explanation for my problems, which was very frustrating"

According to what i have was told by a surgeon in the field very experienced in resection rectopexy, the outcome you have described is not uncommon, at least in early months after resection. It is surely likely that the surgeon who performed your resection has seen your kind of outcome before, and surely he owes you at least a guess as to why things have worsened for you. Sadly it seems to be not unusual for surgeons to try to get rid of patients with problems induced by their ops as soon as they can. I would not let the guy "wash his hands of you" yet if i were you.

I will be very interested to hear how you get on with attempting to treat the sibo. Is that rifaximin as an antibiotic, with mark pimentel?

Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

PoppiePalace HB User

Yes, rifaximin and flagyl for 10 days with Mark Pimentel. I am hoping for a negative breath test because I don't want to have to do the Vivonex liquid diet. But if I have to I will bite the bullet and do it because I have read it works. Followed by a specific diet. So many years of suffering and as of late absolutely no life. It gets old doesn't it? And I agree with you about the surgeon, he did seem a bit exasperated with me because I wasn't following his "plan". How are you doing?

Closed Thread