It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
(female)

MsLady81 HB User
Unhappy Irregular, Absent, and Constant Menstruation

I am a healthy woman, 31 years old with no previous health issues. Just this year my doctor has put me on Procardia (nifedipine) for high blood pressure. I've been on it for about 6 months. HBP runs in the family.

Since my first period at 14, I've had a regular monthly period with no issues and only a couple instances of being late. I have never been pregnant nor have I tried to get pregnant. I haven't been on hormonal birth control since 2005 and use condoms with my husband whom I've been with for 9 years. We're a very close loving couple and infidelity/STD's are out of the question. We hope to start trying for a greatly anticipated baby within the next 2 years.

In January of 2012 my period stopped. I didn't menstruate for 3 full months. The following periods were crampier than I recall but normal. Three months ago I started spotting a week before my period officially started and it was VERY heavy and lasted a long time. The subsequent period was the same, also spotting a week early. My last period began a week early, was lighter than ever before, and lasted for nearly 2 weeks. Five days after it ended, or so I thought, I started spotting. That was Saturday night, Oct. 27th. Today, Oct. 29th, I am spotting again.

As I got out of the shower tonight I passed a clot. This is the third I've seen like this. Not to get gross, but my clots always have been around the same size and texture, like rolled and torn kleenex. They also have that distinctive, not unpleasant, "period" scent. The clot I passed tonight was different. The preceding blood was bright red, not dark like period blood, and smooth and slithery with clear mucus. It looked kind of long and uniform like a leach (the invertebrate). Here's the oddest thing: it has no smell at all. Now that I've seen three identical clots like this, I'm inclined to believe this is not period blood and is something altogether different.

I've been to the doctor repeatedly and she insists all of this is caused by my stress level. It's been a tough year, economically, at my house. Is she right? Or is something else going on?

This issue is really killing my sex life. Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
(female)

border234 HB User
Re: Irregular, Absent, and Constant Menstruation

Hi, you are not alone (I'm 30, no children), but I don't agree with your doctor. Since July I have had long periods, july 18 days, august 11 days, September 21 days and currently 15 days. I went to the gyn in Sept. and she ordered a few tests, one a pap and then an ultra sound. I have a large cyst in my ovary (may or may not be causing the prolonged periods). I had an endo biopsy and it was abnormal too. I go back later this week (hopefully my period is done) for another ultra sound to see if the cyst has changed. I will be starting hormones to try to shed the uterine lining as well.
My periods sound similar to yours, spotting, then heavy then strange clots. I would go to the GYN to see what might be going on, because yes it does make the sex life suffer, but I also find myself very tired and annoyed by constantly being on my period. I know that my case may be completely different from yours, but I wanted to share so you don't feel alone. Good luck and best wishes!!

Closed Thread

Tags
menstruation, period