It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
(female)

mnbvlkjh HB User
Unhappy All from an IUD being out of place?

30-year-old female here, reasonably fit (each week I bike 100+ km and do 1-2 weights sessions at the gym). For about 4 months, I just haven't been myself. It feels a lot like PMS-type symptoms:
* abdominal cramping
* fatigue
* irritability
* crazy emotions (I ended up sobbing last night for absolutely no reason)
* low or no libido
* trouble concentrating
* constantly hungry or peckish (have gained 4 kilos this year, currently 70 kg/167 cm)

But all of this is throughout the month, without any link to my normal cycles. That said, my typically-normal cycles have been a mess, anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks, with a lot of spotting and discharge.

About 2 months ago the cramping became unbearable, and it was discovered that my non-hormonal, copper IUD, which I'd had without problems for 5 years, was out of place. Its removal relieved a lot, but not all, of the cramping, and the other symptoms persist.

Before the IUD issue was discovered, all sorts of blood tests were run - CRP, sodium, potassium, chloride, bicarb, anion gap, calcium, phosphate, urea, uric acid, creatinine, eGFR, random glucose, total protein, albumin, globulin, bilirubin, alkaline phos, AST, ALT, gamma GT, LDH, cholesterol, haemolysis, heamatology [haemoglobin, haematocrit, red cell count, MCV, white cell count, neutrophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, eosinophils, basophils, platelets, ESR], anaemia profile [iron, TIBC, saturation, ferritin, B12, red cell folate], and thyroid [TSH, free T4] - and the only borderline-abnormal results were B12 (177 pmol/L, in the lab's 150-250 'borderline deficiency' range) and eGFR (60, lab says < 59 is normal). I was suspicious of my thyroid, but those were normal (TSH 0.7 mU/L, range 0.1 - 3.5; free T4 15.2 pmol/L, range 9.0 - 19.0).

At this point, my GP says that all of this is because of the IUD, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something else wrong with me. Please help! Could this all be from the IUD, even 2 months after it's been removed? Am I just being overly paranoid? Or is there something that the GP may have missed?

Thank you so much for any help that you can provide!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
iud, pms, thyroid