It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 AM   #1
(female)

looneytunes HB User
Swelling in vulva

I have swelling at the top part of my vulva, the mons pubis part. I have no pain there, but it is about two and half times its normal size, it feels like a water ballon almost. I have been to the gynecologist because I have fibroids and have previously had cysts and I thought it may be related to one of these but she said I am fine and fibroids and cysts would not cause swelling there. A few weeks after the swelling began, this has been going on for six weeks, I developed slight swelling and pain in my right leg, from my groin down to my knee. Has anybody had a swelling like this before? Does anyone know what it might be?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Re: Swelling in vulva

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneytunes View Post
I have swelling at the top part of my vulva, the mons pubis part. I have no pain there, but it is about two and half times its normal size, it feels like a water ballon almost. I have been to the gynecologist because I have fibroids and have previously had cysts and I thought it may be related to one of these but she said I am fine and fibroids and cysts would not cause swelling there. A few weeks after the swelling began, this has been going on for six weeks, I developed slight swelling and pain in my right leg, from my groin down to my knee. Has anybody had a swelling like this before? Does anyone know what it might be?
Hi looneytunes,
Do you have any swollen lymph nodes in your groin? Sounds like an
infection that is getting worse. Imho. Even if she did do a cbc to check for infection, you need another one drawn now to see if WBC's are high. It cant " be just fine" to have swelling there anytime. She/ he didnt look hard enough with testing, not with their eyes.lol Seriously, call to come back in or to pick up lab slip for CBC? To me, it may or may not be gynecological, but, gyns check for uti's with urinalysis, pelvic ultrasound etc. Hope you get better.God bless you, looney. If you need anything else, let me know. Thank you, gmak ps: check for a cut, nick, redness, bite on your legs, feet, back & tummy. Ask yourself waxing? shaving?

Last edited by gmak; 11-04-2012 at 10:41 AM. Reason: ps

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
looneytunes (11-04-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
(female)

looneytunes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmak View Post
Hi looneytunes,
Do you have any swollen lymph nodes in your groin? Sounds like an
infection that is getting worse. Imho. Even if she did do a cbc to check for infection, you need another one drawn now to see if WBC's are high. It cant " be just fine" to have swelling there anytime. She/ he didnt look hard enough with testing, not with their eyes.lol Seriously, call to come back in or to pick up lab slip for CBC? To me, it may or may not be gynecological, but, gyns check for uti's with urinalysis, pelvic ultrasound etc. Hope you get better.God bless you, looney. If you need anything else, let me know. Thank you, gmak ps: check for a cut, nick, redness, bite on your legs, feet, back & tummy. Ask yourself waxing? shaving?
Thaks for your response. I had thought about an infection as well. I have not had any pain for the first five weeks, the pain did not start until 10/28/2012. I have seen my primary care who said that he feels that it is linked to a yeast infection on my skin that I have on the undearneath part of my stomach. Originially this started when I had patch testing done for allergies. I had been experiencing a rash in this area for two and half years prior to this and was told by the dermatologist that this was my psoriasis and had been treating it with Protopic. It got the the point where it hurt to walk or even sit. I was miserable 24/7. I finally said that she had to do something and she suggested patch testing which showed allergies to seven different chemicals/additives. During the five day patch testing is when the swelling began. I was told originally by the dermatologist that this was an allergic reaction to the patch testing and I was given a steroid cream and told to take benedryl. I did this for two weeks as instructed. The steroid cream took the swelling down at the lower part of my vulva but the top part has always stayed swollen. After two weeks, I called back and was told to put my Protopic on the area and was told it could take several weeks for the swelling to go away. I went to the gyno who said that it was not female related. I went to my PCP who told me it was related to the cutaneous yeast infection on the skin beneath my stomach and gave me Diflucan to take for ten days straight, I am on day five and no easing of the swelling. The dermatologist had already given me Nystatin gel 1% to put on it and it was clearing when I started to take the Diflucan. My PCP said that if the problem did not clear it was out of his area of expertise and he would have to refer me to someone else. I asked about an antibiotic for a possible infection, and he said that is what the Diflucan is for. He did not mention WBC testing. I have no idea what to do and I am surprised none of my providers have offered to help me further. I don 't know if my lymph nodes are swollen, I know it kind of hurt where my leg attaches to my groin area. I have not felt any lumps but I am chunky girl so I do not know if I am looking for it in the right area. The swelling has me concerned and I do not know what my next step should be. I do feel like I have pulled a muscle in my groin as it hurts to use the muscle you would use to close your legs (on the right side). But would it have swelled there before the pain started? It was swollen for about 4 weeks before I had the pain in my right leg. I think my right leg is swollen a little on that side to because my pants fit tighter on that side. I have told all of this to my providers but with no luck and no further instructions on what to do next. Sorry for the long post, I am just so confused.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi looneytunes,
You poor thing! So, i'll cut to the chase. With the psoriasis & yeast it could be hard to see if you got a staph infection, from patch testing or because both bacteria & yeast love warm, wet environments. So, it sounds like cellulitis. Staph live on our skin as normal flora, punch a hole, open wound from psoriasis & bam, now you have an infection. After all these weeks & diflucan is not an antibiotic. Its an anti fungal. Call pcp monday morn @ 8 am & say i want an order for a CBC with differential to be done & the results sent to you stat. Then say I want the dr to call me as soon as you get report. If they say come in fine.But, you say i want my blood checked for a bacterial infection with a cbc to check if the white blood cell count is elevated. Humor me if you must but you must. It is a cheap blood test,that if it is staph, could safe your life. Not safe to leave it possibly growing
unchecked. If he wont do it.
Call & do same @ gyn & dermo. Surely, one dr will do it, If not, go to ER. This is just my opinion, but this has been too long.Something is wrong& this is basic knowledge. A $100 blood test to make sure while if its not high, then they can look for other causes. Check your temperature 5 minutes under tongue if you still own a glass thermometer. Otherwise digital. I really hope you dont have an infection, but you cant just sit & wait. God bless you, heartsy Thank you,gmak ps. They could draw some of the fluid & culture it too.

Last edited by gmak; 11-04-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: re word sentence ps

Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
(female)

looneytunes HB User

Hi Gmak,
Just thought I would give you an update. Called my doctor, explained that I am still having problems. No fever, no redness, would not do a blood test but ordered duplex venous ultrasound of my legs, both of them although I do not know why since I am not having problems with the left one. Had the ultrasound on Friday, they said that the doctor would not get the results for 24 to 48 hours. I called the doctor's office at around 2:30 pm and they said that they had not heard anything, (last time I had an ultrasound they got the report in three hours so I thought I would check :-). They said that they had not heard anything but if I had a blood clot they probably would have heard something that day. The office closed at 3:00 pm on Friday. They said that they should have the report by Monday and will call me. Still have swelling and pain in my right leg and the vulva is still swollen. Since I was getting an ultrasound and taking time off work anyway I said that my swollen vulva is what started this whole thing and it was swollen for five weeks before my leg startd swelling and hurting so I asked if he thought I should have a pelvic ultrasound just to check. The nurse said that she would ask him and if so they would add it and if not I would just get the leg ultrasound. He didn't add it so I'll be ticked off if that is what he wants to do next, you can only take so much time off work you know. Meanwhile everything is the same, the swelling in my leg is not tremendous and it only affects my thigh area, nothing else. So I still don't know what is wrong and I guess I will wait to hear from the doctor on Monday. I will let you know what he says. Have a good weekend.

Closed Thread