It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
(female)

ajm17 HB User
External vaginal itch. 2 years. No discharge or anything else abnormal

Hey there ladies!

I just spent the last 4 hours reading every healthboard thread that I could on this subject. Some girls symptoms sound familiar, but not exact to mine.

I have been experiencing itching on the outer opening of my vagina for about 2 years now. For the whole first year I saw a couple different doctors, but no one could come up with a cure and eventually I couldn't afford it anymore as I don't have health insurance.

The itching is not constant. It comes and goes. Sometimes I wont notice it for a week or 2 and I will have thought it was gone, but it always comes back. It is only at the opening of my vagina where the itching occurs. I have normal discharge. I have never noticed a difference in my discharge except that when i am discharging, I get itchy.

The first doctor that saw me didn't even do an examination. I explained to him my symptoms and he wrote me 2 different prescriptions, Diflucan and Flagyl. He said to take the Diflucan first and if the problem persisted to fill the Flagyl script. So I took the Diflucan. It didn't work. Took Flagyl. Didn't work. Went back to the Dr. and then was prescribed Metronidazole Gel. A gel that I inserted into my vagina before bed for 5 nights. I guess I may have felt a little better. But like I said, the itching will go away and then come back. So a year later I went to an actual gynecologist (the Dr.s I saw before were just walk in/urgent care type places for people without insurance) and he prescribed be a topical cream called Triamcinolone Acetonide. It is a steroid cream to help itching and irritation. I was only supposed to use it for 7 days, so I did and as it helped the itching while I was using it, after I stopped the itching was still there.

So here I am a year later (going on year 3 of this problem) and trying to reach out to others cause I can't afford another $400 doctor visit. Does anyone know anything about this? I wear all cotton underwear, changed my toilet paper and laundry detergent, eat a super healthy diet...The one thing that has seemed to help lately when I'm itching is the Vagisil medicated wipes. They cool me down a bit (not fully). My labia gets pretty swollen and irritated after scratching it. I know I shouldn't, but it's too intense to not. Just seeing if anyone has any info for me. Thanks for reading

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
(male)

aowshea HB Useraowshea HB Useraowshea HB User
Re: External vaginal itch. 2 years. No discharge or anything else abnormal

Chocolate-non sugar (cocoa), just a tiny bite/day in the night before sleeping. Don't over-consume, it may cause the migrain. A bar may last to 3-4 months.
Avoid cucumber or watery acidic fruit for awhile, especially mangoes, mangoesteen, orange. Avoid mayoinnaise and yoghurt.
Corn based food is recommended.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #3
(female)

ajm17 HB User

I actually just stopped eating chocolate cause I was thinking that had something to do with it. I also stopped coffee and only drink tea and water now. I don't eat excessive yogurt or mayonnaise or fruit. I have recently stopped sugar all together too. So no fruit, desserts, honey etc. It's been about 4 days since I quit sugar, but I guess I had a couple beers last night so I dont know if that matters or not...

Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #4
(male)

aowshea HB Useraowshea HB Useraowshea HB User

Betel leaf.
Wash it and boil in water. Rub the warm water at itchy area.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #5
(female)

marshmello HB User

Hi there,
I had a very similiar problem to yours. I finally tracked it down to 3 things. The first was the type of soap that I used. Dove, Caress, Tone and many of the so-called mild soaps irritated the crap out of me so I had to go thru a grueling trial-n-error period exploring almost every soap on the market including Cetaphil. Cetaphil helped the first week but the itchy irritation came back. I finally discovered that Safeguard was the ONLY soap that didn't cause problems.

The 2nd source of my problem was the type of pads and pantyliners that I chose. Again, spending lots of money trying every brand on the market until I came across a brand from a popular online drugstore which was supposed to be "all natural". Well they worked for a couple months but the irritation came back. I finally came across Stayfree pads which has worked wonders.

The 3rd source of my problem was the elastic on certain underwear. I had to throw out several pairs until I found some that didn't irritate.

Finally, after seeing a dermatologist, she diagnosed it as a form of eczema or contact dermatitis. She prescribed a steroidal ointment then promptly gave me a few samples of Dove and Cetaphil soap. (I cringed!!) The ointment helped but the eczema returns periodically just as she warned. The flare ups aren't as bad these days since I've changed the products that I use.

Like you, I read everything I could find. What I found was that some of the least suspecting items can cause problems such as pads, condoms, lube, sex toys, elastic on underwear, soap and even toilet paper! I'd suggest trying different products to see what works for you.

I hope this helps. Take care

Closed Thread