It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Got ablation today...

So from the time up to my ablation I did a ton of research and reading. Needless to say there were more bad stories then I could find good and I think that is just a shame for people that are in my boat. Horribly anemic with not many choices that were suitable. So I decided to share my story up to the point where I am right now and maybe check in every so often and let you ladies know how I am doing.

Little background, mommy to 5 wonderful children. With my last I had a c-section and a tubal. My periods were always pretty heavy but at that point they got horrible. For the first 4 days of my period I changed my pad every 20 minutes if not more. My blood clots were as big as the pad at times. I always thought this was normal. After a few years I started craving ice. I was constantly chewing ice for a year and a half straight that is all I would do. Finally a friend told me that I should get my iron checked. So I did. I found out I was severely anemic with a hemoglobin of 8, iron of 18, ferritin of 2. It was horrible.

From there on out my Dr. suspected the heavy bleeding as a cause. The OB's are so overbooked her I had to wait quite some time to get it taken care of. 8 months to be exact. After 8 months (today) I am happy to say I got my ablation. My OB told me I would probably still have to take iron for at least another year to get back on track.

Prior to my appointment I took an anti-nausea, a valium, 2 lortab 10's, as well as Ibprofen. I was called back where they first gave me a shot for cramping. They let me sit with that for about a half hour. The Dr. then came in, dilated my cervix, and put numbing meds in. She let those sit for about another 10 minutes.

She then came back in and put in the Novasure net, the net goes in and expands and checks you for any pre-perforations you may have and fits perfect to your body. This was a huge concern of mine, perforations. A few of the horror stories I read women were saying that Novasure gave them perforations. I am not saying this isn't true but my OB assured me that if in fact that happened with me the Novasure has a mechanism that would automatically shut the machine down as soon as it was compromised. She also told me that some OB's have been known to manipulate the machine.

Everything was clear, she put in the sizes etc in the machine and it seemed to have a way to measure etc and actually set it's own timer so my procedure was maybe a minute long. It's not always a minute and a half etc it just depends on your body, cervix, uterus, etc.

I'm not going to lie, it hurt. Not as bad as I was expecting but it hurt none the less. It was like having a contraction with no break in between. After about a minute the machine just shut off and I was done. She removed the device and the cramping let up a little as time passed. They let me go home but by the time I had got home my cramping was back and it was horrid. I took another lortab and Ibprofen and it barely took the edge off.

At the Dr's office the bleeding seemed to be more of a discharge mixed with blood but it wasn't to bad nothing a few baby wipes and a pad couldn't fix.

I got home and used the bathroom and had a few very very small clots mixed with discharge and blood but again nothing bad. I just went again 6 hours later and there is no blood at all (I started my period this morning). I have a little watery discharge here and there but it's minimal. I would also like to throw in the fact that I am pretty much pain free as of 6 hours later.

I will keep you all posted as I go, but so far the only complaint I have is the cramping afterward but I can't help but think if this works that is nothing compared to what relief I will have. It really wasn't as bad as I have read.

I just want you ladies to have another good story to go with all the bad because there are so much more bad out there.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 12-10-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Heatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB UserHeatherx5 HB User
Re: Got ablation today...

Day 2. I can't even tell anything was done yesterday. I have a little bit of discharge some very very light blood, pinkish color not even enough to know it's there. Not really much cramping going on.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Day 3: No cramping, same as yesterday. Little blood and little discharge. I think things are starting to reach their way South. A notice a little bit more then yesterday but not much. No pain and no need for pain meds, I have been taking Ibprofen, she told me to take this every 4 hours regardless.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Day 4: Pretty much the same. I would be on Day 3-4 of my period now, minor spotting and brown chunks, assuming this is lining. I have more watery discharge then anything. Nothing major. A few minor pokes and pain but not much exciting going on, which is exciting.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Day 5: Everything is great. Just fluidy discharge.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Day 11 and things still ok. I have had no bleeding and the other stuff has slowed way down. My period should have long come and gone. Had some minor light red when I went to the bathroom yesterday but it was just once. Nothing today. So far so good. I hope this is helping someone! One thing I have learned, don't believe everything you read on the internet. So far I'm happy I had this done and don't regret my decision. I can't wait to get my iron levels check in a couple weeks and see where I am.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

2 weeks check up, everything looked fine she says I'm healing great. Little minor spot of blood when wiping. No period in sight.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
moodymoonchild (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

It's been over a month since my ablation and I'm happy to say I am a period free girl. My period (#2) should have come and gone already and I'm happy to report I have not had it! Can't wait to get my iron levels checked! Really hope this does the trick. Either way not having to worry about flooding and never leaving my house 7 days out of the month was well worth it for me. So far so good. Hope this is helping someone out there.

Last edited by Heatherx5; 01-14-2013 at 09:34 PM.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Period #3 has come and gone. I am still getting a few zits here and there around that time as well as minor PMS. One thing I did notice that went away. Usually a week before my period would come I would get sore, really sore. My neck, my body, vomitty, etc. This has since gone away as well. I have not have a period since my procedure and all the side effects from the procedure are gone. I think I'm going to let this thread go now, if anything changes in the future I will let you girls now but for now this has done what it was supposed to.

Please remember don't believe everything you read on the internet! What works for some might not others. My whole goal was to give the ladies contemplating something positive to read. I hope I have done that. This procedure has been a blessing for me. There are risks involved in everything in life. It's your decision to make, I'm happy I made this one. Best choice ever, no more periods!

Last edited by Heatherx5; 02-10-2013 at 06:49 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Heatherx5 For This Useful Post:
sadie683 (03-18-2013)
Closed Thread