It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
(female)

ChrisC8011 HB User
Super heavy periods... what's normal?

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read this...
I have really heavy periods, and I wanted to hear from anyone who has experience with this. I have an appointment with the doc tomorrow to get results from the bloodwork and sonogram. I'm on TOM right now (sorry if this is TMI), and have gone through 9 soaked overnight pads so far today. Sometimes, a big clot comes out and then I have to change the pad immediately or else it will cause major leakage and possibly fall to the floor (yuck, I know). I'm also anemic, dizzy and almost faint. Anyone have any similar experiences and can speak on how to make the symptoms (heavy flow, cramp pain) lessen?

-C

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Super heavy periods...what's normal?

I'm assuming your doc is checking your hormone levels. I developed very heavy periods, it started in my twenties with occasional heavy bleeds and got gradually worse, but by the time I was in my thirties there were about 3 days out of my period I couldn't leave the house because of it. I used to sleep on towels in bed at night, use tampons and pads at the same time, it was just out of control, I could bleed through a fresh tampon in minutes and often had to change my clothes from sudden heavy bleeding. My periods also became incredibly painful, I would get pain midcycle and then again with my period. I worked out that when I got a cramping pain, it meant there was a big clot coming (tmi I know lol) The weird thing is that it happened so very gradually that for me it was normal, but eventually like you I started to think, this can't be normal can it? In my case I had developed polycystic ovarian syndrome and was put on the pill which controls the pain and bleeding because my hormones were all over the place.

I also developed the worst PMS which I had never had until 6 months before my diagnosis. Like clockwork, two days before my period I would just start feeling stressed and it would just build and build for 2 days until I felt like I was going crazy and I would yell and argue over everything, then after about 48 hours of this I would suddenly break down and turn into a sobbing mess, it was like I had this overwhelming feeling that I just couldn't cope anymore, and then within hours I would get my period and suddenly feel completely normal again, it was insane.

Last edited by captjane; 01-09-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Super heavy periods...what's normal?

Hopefully your doc will check for fibroids. I had very similar problems and ended up in the hospital needing emergency blood transfusions and surgery to remove the fibroid. Since you know you're anemic you should be very insistent with the doc to have your blood tested on a regular basis to make sure you don't get to the point where you need transfusions. It seemed like it happened really fast for me, it was about 2 weeks of that type of insane heavy bleeding that made me get to that point and if it's been longer for you then you might already be at that point where transfusions might be necessary. Don't wait around, take it from someone who almost bled to death. Make as much noise as possible until you get this under control.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
(female)

ge0rgette2 HB User
Re: Super heavy periods... what's normal?

Hi...

I can SOOOO RELATE to this!!!!

I, too, have had heavy heavy periods for years... My GYN in the past, just said to live with it - I've been seeing another GYN, a WOMAN and she said we will do tests..

Last year, I ended up having a vaginal sonogram and it showed a fibroid -- very small, but she said it probably wasn't the reason for all the bleeding.

I was supposed to go for a biopsy and someone told me it was painful, so of course, as normal, I blew it off and dealt with monthly heavy's and clotting.

Well this past month and 1/2 I've had my 'friend' for almost 15 days.. the grossness was out of control.

I'm also anemic which doesn't help - anemic due to these monthly issues.

My hemoglobin levels this month were 6.7 .. I get regular IV fluids of iron from my hematologist every 4-8 weeks to keep my levels up... but when my friend is this bad, my body has a hard time recoop'ing...

So with all this, today I had a vaginal sonogram, biopsy next week and if all cleared i'm having a cryoblation on the 25th of the month.

I was told it's the best option for now right now... †

I'm 45 and peri meno and 1/2 the time they don't believe me..

When my anemia kicks into overdrive, my heart palpitations and weakness is just horrible, plain old horrible...

Best of luck.... let me know how you make out.

Closed Thread