It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

ddiaz8199 HB User
need advice. I am scared :(

Hi eveyone!
I am new here, and like most looking for answers.

Here is my story.
I am a 31 year old mother of 3 kids. After my 3rd child I wanted a long term solution for BC (I was previously on the pill for about 7 years), my OB suggested Mirena IUD, I had that inserted 4 weeks after the birth of my youngest daughter (2008). I had the Mirena replaced with Paragon IUD one year later because the hormones in Mirena we're driving me nuts, I was also gaining weight and losing hair. Any who. I've been happy as a clam w/my paragon. I knew the side effects of having the Paragon vs the Mirena we're going to be heavy periods and cramping. Periods w're as expected.

Earlier this month my period was a little funny. I had 2 days of bad cramping before my period and then my period only lasted 4 days, one day was heavy flow. Fast forward to last week (Thursday) and I started to get severe cramping, like horrible I can't sit up straight, I can barely breath, someone is stabbing me with a knife, Iíd rather be in labor then go through this type of pain. It was like NOTHING I'd ever felt, and I've had 3 kids. I KNEW something was wrong but I just thought it was from ovulating, as I get pain when I ovulate here and there. I ended up going to the ER early Friday, I was out of town so Dr that saw me was just clueless and gave me pain meds and sent me on my way.

I saw my Dr on Wednesday of this week and she did a trasvaginal ultrasound in office, she sees cysts. Her response is "wow, that's weird I've never seen anything like this. that is NOT what I want to hear. She also tells me I have 2 cysts, one on the left that measures 3-4cm and one on the right that is about 6-7cm. She sent me for a more detailed ultrasound that same day. while I am with ultrasound tech, the ultrasound tech comments "wow you have something funny going on with your left ovary" again can they just keep these comments to them selves? Now I am scared, but try to just stay positive until Dr reviews results of ultrasound.

Dr calls me today to tell me she is concerned about the cysts. She has consulted with the OBGYN Oncologist. They have come to the conclusion that I need to have these surgically removed. I ask questions and she tells me, they are both "complex cysts", that they are most concerned with the left one that measures 3.5 cm and has a lesion. What does that mean? I didnít even ask, I was in shock when she said CANCER.

I think after that I was just num and all logic went out the window. She did say we donít know yet if its cancer, but they are concerned. and she states she "has never seen cysts like this" she has been my Dr many years. She does say since I have no family history and I am young the chances of this being cancer is lower. But once a Dr throws the C word in to anything, for me it's all I can think about. I have young kids, I am freaking out. I donít know what to do. should I just call Dr back as more questions? I am at a loss for what to do next. Dr is scheduling surgery. need advice please.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: need advice. I am scared :(

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. The first thing I would do - if I were in your place - would be to take a deep breath and then make an appointment with the oncologist. That's the person who can tell you the most about the situation. And keep in mind that until they actually test the tissue from the cyst/ovary, they don't know for sure what it is. My mother's gyno and surgeon both swore she had breast cancer, even showed us why on the xrays. It was scar tissue from a previous breast reduction surgery. All that uproar for nothing. So, I don't get too upset over these sorts of things until all the eggs are in the basket, so to speak. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
(female)

ddiaz8199 HB User

Thank you so much for responding. I just made my appointment to see the Oncologist at the end of this week. Hoping I can get some answers.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

Valkatie HB User

I'm sorry to hear this. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you.

Closed Thread