It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

Scaredtina HB User
Nervous about Hysteroscopy for uterine polyp or fibriod

I am 38 and 3 days ago when I had vaginal ultrasound, my doc found there is something about 2 cm he said it could be polyp but he can see its calcifying. I am not sure what that means really by calcifying. I did have symptoms of heavy bleeding for like 2 years and feel heavy in my pelvis also frequently going to bathroom. i thought these were just after effects of giving birth so I did not see my doc for that, but i guess i was wrong. He didn't say if its really polyp or fibroid just telling me I need to have surgery hysteroscopy to remove this under GA. I had a c section about 2 years ago but it wasn't under GA and I am a nervous wreck right now because I am scared about the procedure and possible bad outcome... They are still scheduling me for the operation date, so I have all this time I have to wait which makes me even more nervous. Can anyone share any similar experience with me? Thank you so much!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Nervous about Hysteroscopy for uterine polyp or fibriod

I've had a hysteroscope to remove polyps like 6 times since 2006. You're just going to have to trust me that this is no big deal. Then 2 years ago I had an open abdominal surgery to remove a fibroid the size of a grapefruit which WAS a big deal. Hysteroscopy is totally easy because they don't make any incisions so you don't have to worry about recovery like you did with your c-section. I usually have the Hysteroscopy done on a Thursday or Friday and take the weekend to relax and then I'm back to work by Monday. The bleeding afterward is no worse than a period as long as you don't go trying to move heavy furniture or lug a ton of stuff up a flight of stairs. They also don't do GA for this procedure at my hospital, the do what's called MAC where you're still breathing on your own but you are completely out and they use Versed which makes you forget everything so when you're waking up it feels just like waking up from GA but without the sore throat from the tube down your throat as with GA.

For me the worst and scariest part is always getting the IV put in. I am in full on panic mode when they start poking me with needles but once that's in I'm totally relaxed. I don't know how you are with needles but I've asked for Valium and they have given it to me to help calm me down.

One last thing I'll tell you is to tell the anesthesiologist to give you meds the whole time through your IV for anti nausea to avoid that post surgery nausea that many people seem to get. It has made a huge difference for me to get that stuff because I feel pretty good after waking up.

I hope that helps you feel better about it. Let me know if you have any other questions but really since you have experience with a c-section, which is way, way worse than this, then you will have no problem with this.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kszan:
Scaredtina (02-08-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
Scaredtina (02-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

Scaredtina HB User

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I called my doctors office today to see what he actually wrote on my chart, but it says intracervical growth, which seems like he could not really determine what it was through the ultrasound. I think I will pull through the surgical procedure ok and I am not super afraid of the needles. I did not get nauseous from the anesthesia with c section but not sure if they use the same drug or not, because it made me really shaky the entire time. The anxiety about chance of this being cancerous is overwhelming. I try to think positive and try to even forget about this in my head for a while but it's so difficult. I feel like a heavy dark cloud is hovering me and makes me depressed especially when I first wake up in the morning.

The following user gives a hug of support to Scaredtina:
Debs71 (03-06-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

We are the same age and I can tell you that my doctor told me that it is very, very, very rare for fibroids to be cancerous in our age group and polyps are even more rare to be anything malignant. It's women after menopause who have a much more likely chance of having a fibroid turn out cancerous. The odds are very much in your favor that it's not anything serious.

Since you're not afraid of needles, I think you're going to be just fine.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Kszan
Debs71 (03-06-2013), Scaredtina (02-08-2013)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
Debs71 (03-06-2013), Scaredtina (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
(female)

Scaredtina HB User

Thank you so much! You are an angel

Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
(female)

Debs71 HB User
Unhappy Re: Nervous about Hysteroscopy for uterine polyp or fibriod

Hello,

I am so grateful to have found this site and to see others with the same experiences as me. Scaredtina, I can really relate and sympathise very much with you.

I am 41, and have just had a trans-vaginal scan today (my third - I have a history of ovarian cysts) and after some recent symptoms of a light period last month, intermittent spotting, a missing period this month, bloating and low abdo pain, I was expecting cysts to show again, but have been told I have a small, endometrial polyp. I was a bit shocked, as I had cysts in my head, but the sonographer just said she would send the report to my doctor and take it from there.

I knew I shouldn't have Googled, as I am now a blubbing mess. I have read all kinds of things like 'possibly cancerous', 'usually done under GA' and I am quite scared now. I really, really don't want a GA and would be willing to have anything else they can offer except a GA. I have never had a GA before, and am desperate not to have one now. I was very comforted by your post though Kszan, and am hoping with every part of my being that the same light sedation can be offered to me here in the UK (things are so much more advanced in the US, I know)

At the moment I am thinking of all of the worst possibilities, like malignancy, Hysterectomy, etc. I feel very scared.

Sorry for hijacking your post scaredtina.xx

Last edited by Debs71; 03-06-2013 at 06:24 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

ScaredTina - I hope your procedure went well and this is all behind you!

Debs - As Kszan said, polyps (and fibroids) are ALMOST ALWAYS benign and oftentimes don't even need any treatment as long as they aren't causing troublesome symptoms. Just as with ovarian cysts, sometimes all that's needed is monitoring. So take a deep breath and try not to worry. And if it needs to be removed, I hope all goes well! Keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to STLouisgal For This Useful Post:
Debs71 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #8
(female)

Debs71 HB User

Thank you so much STLouisgal....just hearing your reassuring words help.

I think I am also worried about my age. I shouldn't have read that the older you are, the more risk of cancerous polyps. So stupid of me to dwell on that, as like you say, the vast majority are benign. I am also freaked out as I haven't had any children yet (not through choice, I am like a broody hen and would love to have a child...just haven't found the right person/relationship) and I know time is ticking for me, and also that childless women are at higher risk of malignant polyps. I am also scared that any procedure will affect my chances of conceiving.

All in all, I am just fixated on all the negatives.

The embarrasing thing is, I am a Reg. Nurse myself (I work in Pediatrics) ! I know I must sound dumb about all of this, and usually I am pretty laid back about medical stuff - no needle fears, etc. and know the routines - but the prospect of a GA and of my age and lack of kids, etc. has got me thinking irrationally and jumping the gun.

Thank you again STLouisgal....I really appreciate your reply.x

Last edited by Debs71; 03-06-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

STLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB UserSTLouisgal HB User

For me, fear (not so much my own but the fear instilled by my once respected gynecologist and well-meaning friends and relatives) was my downfall. My gynecologist removed my uterus and ovaries for a suspicious looking cyst that was benign on frozen section. So all he should have removed was the cyst or the one ovary. I've been suffering the adverse effects of the loss of my sex organs ever since.

Fear is a very normal emotion but it's important that we not let it cloud our judgment. We need to educate ourselves and get the facts in order to make an informed decision. I know that can be easier said than done but just wanted to share my experience.

BTW - 41 is still young! I don't know anything about the effect of the presence or removal of polyps on fertility. Hope that isn't affected either way!

The following user gives a hug of support to STLouisgal:
Debs71 (03-06-2013)
Debs71 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
(female)

Debs71 HB User

Oh, I am so sorry for all that you have been through, STLouisgal.

I feel so stupid complaining about my situation after reading all that has happened health wise for you.

You are so right. Fear is more hindrance than help, and thinking clearly and logically is a much better way to go.

I think I am just getting myself worked up without the facts...and I should know better. I jumped on the fertility thing as I was reading that endometrial ablation is not recommended for those yet to try for/have kids, but then I believe that D & C is another treatment for uterine polyps. Is this what is done during a hysteroscopy, or are the polyps removed without the full womb lining removal?

Thank you STLouisgal again....you have really helped me so very much, and I really wish you very well x

The Following User Says Thank You to Debs71 For This Useful Post:
STLouisgal (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs71 View Post
I jumped on the fertility thing as I was reading that endometrial ablation is not recommended for those yet to try for/have kids, but then I believe that D & C is another treatment for uterine polyps. Is this what is done during a hysteroscopy, or are the polyps removed without the full womb lining removal?
Thanks so much for your kind words! I surely don't want to discount your troubles and fears!

Yes, ablation is not recommended for those wanting to conceive. Pregnancy is possible but risky after ablation since the uterine lining is scarred. And there can be long-term repercussions after ablation because the uterine lining is meant to "build up" based on the hormonal "messages" from the ovaries.

I've heard of women having a D&C for polyps but it seems like they could just remove the polyps themselves sort of like cutting off a skin tag on your neck (or elsewhere). I know there's a procedure called a polypectomy for removing polyps. If the polyp is causing bleeding, it would seem that its removal would stop the bleeding and there would be no need to do anything to the uterine lining. At least that make sense to me.

Hope this helps!

Debs71 (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
(female)

Debs71 HB User

Thank you for your really helpful info, STLouisgal...you are a true angel!x

Last edited by Debs71; 03-06-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debs71 View Post
I jumped on the fertility thing as I was reading that endometrial ablation is not recommended for those yet to try for/have kids, but then I believe that D & C is another treatment for uterine polyps. Is this what is done during a hysteroscopy, or are the polyps removed without the full womb lining removal?
Hi Debs, I'm glad that my post was able to help you. In answer to your questions above, whenever I've had the polypectomy done, my gyne also does a D&C just to clean up the lining a little. It helps cut down on the bleeding because for some reason my polyps have always caused a ton of additional bleeding (which is how I've always known that they grew back again). I know how you feel about being afraid of cancer but in all this time, my gyne always said that it's the post-menopause women that have a higher rate of cancer in fibroids but in all women polyps are rare rare rare to be cancer. I'm assuming at 41 you likely are still pre-menopause so you shouldn't worry about that.

When you speak to the anesthesiologist, as about MAC sedation instead of general. I'm really not a fan of general anesthesia myself because I have had some bad experiences. I only had the polypectomy/hysteroscopy done once with GA and only because that time I had an anesthesiologist who was way too overzealous when I told him I had GERD. He was all, "Well, we can't have you aspirate during the procedure" and I said, "But I don't think I'm going to" and he was just being way too conservative. All other times I had it done was with this MAC sedation so I was breathing on my own. Ask them about it and see if they do that at your hospital. You may even want to call ahead and ask about it before your surgery.

Please don't be scared of this procedure. I'm the biggest hugest baby about stuff like this and I truly don't worry anymore about it because I've done it so many times. I know what reading horror stories on the internet can do because I've done it myself! In every case where I've read about horror stories ahead of time for stuff, it has never turned out for me that way. So I think you should take what you read with a grain of salt. Think of it this way, people tend to want to share their negative experiences more often because they want to know if others had a similar problem. But rarely very rarely do people share positive experiences on message boards. I'm not a statistician but I know a little about stats, enough to know that you're getting a very biased sample size on a message board versus what's actually true throughout all procedures ever done on people. Try to remember that and dont' let what you read online make you think that something bad will happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
Debs71 (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 04:32 AM   #14
(female)

Debs71 HB User

Thank you VERY much, Kszan. It is really kind of you to offer such comforting info.

I totally understand your reservations about a GA. I am averse to having one, because I haven't had one before, but also the 'ease' of GA's in my experience, is not always true. I think I spent too much time as a nurse seeing complications from GA's (like laringospasm when the tube is removed, then the post op stuff like nausea, ongoing drowziness, etc) My Mother has bad reactions to GA's, and I am also wondering if it might run in the family! I also would just rather not have something so heavy-duty for a procedure that ideally is quite simple and takes a minimal amount of time.

I will certainly discuss the options about lighter sedation fully, as you kindly suggest. I can totally believe your anaesthesiologist reacted that way when you mentioned GERD. Those guys/gals can be a bit over-the top at times!

You really have calmed me down a lot, and I so appreciate it. You are right that I must not jump on all of the negatives, and focus on the worst case scenario. The irony is, I'm not worried about the procedure at all. I have had (I think) much worse surgery without GA's - cryotherapy and laser surgery on a lip lump) so I am certain I can manage this and would be just glad to get it done really. I think it is more the results and the fertility thing that I am freaking about, but I am resolved to think positively now after your and STLouisgal's injection of logic!

You are an amazing example of someone who has been through a lot many times over, and got through it all.

Thank you and wishing you very well.x

Old 04-05-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
(female)

Debs71 HB User
Unhappy Re: Nervous about Hysteroscopy for uterine polyp or fibriod

I am so scared now, and cannot stop crying.

I got the full results of my TV ultrasound from my doctor a couple of weeks ago, and I have the polyp, a small 12mm fibroid and polycystic ovaries.

I saw a Gynaecologist today and he said I need a hysteroscopic D&C, but said they will only remove the polyp and the womb lining. I questioned him about the fibroid and he brushed it off as being no problem as it is so small. I was concerned about leaving the fibroid due to hearing it can affect possible conception, but he claimed not, and said only if it is near the fallopian tube. I also asked if I could have this procedure under local anesthetic and he said they 'used to do that but not anymore, as it was too much trouble'. He said I need a GA.

I am so, so scared I am almost catatonic with fear. I am scared about everything, but mostly the ET tube. I was a nurse for 10 years, and I witnessed a patient die in A&E after the ET tube was placed in the esophagus instead of the trachea. It was horrendous. The experienced has stayed with me, and I am so frightened now. I am also scared of the ET tube itself, of not waking up, laryngospasm, you name it, I am scared.

I know it must sound ridiculous being a nurse myself, but I think because I am aware what can go wrong, I am not helped at all by that.

I was desperately hoping it could be done under a paracervical block and analgesia. I am terrified. Please anyone help.......

Closed Thread