It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
(female)

AspieChic HB User
'Small' Ovarian Cyst or Something More?

Hey Healthboards! Was here for my gf a few months back...as an update: she's fine! She had a 21 cm dermoid cyst (complete with hair and teeth! ***?) that was NOT cancerous. Whew!

As for me, I've now been diagnosed with a small ovarian cyst after a recent ER trip, but I suspect something else is going on. If anyone could help determine what it might be from the following symptoms, I'd be forever grateful. I've Googled myself to death

SYMPTOMS:

*Extreme fatigue in the week leading up to the pain.

*Sudden, severe lower back pain around the tailbone. No pain one minute and couldn't get off the floor the next. Felt sort of like a strain/pinched nerve, but really painful.

*Pain spread up left side and eventually to my lower abdomen, then to my thighs. Now feels like a toothache in my entire lower body with intermittent shooting/stabbing pains. Strange "pulling" sensation in my inner thighs.

*Low-grade fever (99.something in ER)

*SEVERE gas and bloating, worse after eating. Can only eat a little bit due to the bloating.

*Extreme fatigue, worse after eating.

*Brain fog, low mood.

*Intermittent nausea, usually after eating.

*(No change in bowel habits, no abnormal bleeding, no kidney stones or infection).

The pain in my tailbone area is completely gone and now it's just my lower abdomen/back/legs that hurt. I've always had HORRIBLE period cramps, but never anything in the middle of my cycle. Symptoms have steadily gotten worse as my period gets closer.

The ER doctor said the cyst was "small" and would probably dissolve on its own. The diagnosis paper said Primary Diagnosis: Ovarian Cyst but went on to say they "couldn't determine the cause of pain". I was sent home with 15 Lortabs and orders to take it easy. Tests performed in the ER included a blood test, pregnancy test, ultrasound and CT scan, making it the most thorough exam I've had in my 28 years. The Lortabs relieved the pain so I assumed it was getting better but it promptly returned when I ran out.

I have no insurance and no income but am planning to follow up at a free women's health clinic soon. In the meantime, I really need to calm my mind. I strongly suspect endometriosis, as my always-awful periods have steadily gotten worse over the past year and are now debilitating. (I regularly take 25-30 ibuprofens in the first 24 hours of my period with little relief). The ER doc didn't sound concerned at all but my health is falling apart.

Would a small ovarian cyst cause this much pain and debility?

Thanks for listening!

Last edited by AspieChic; 03-04-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

Mompa1 HB User
Re: 'Small' Ovarian Cyst or Something More?

I don't think a small cyst would cause pain and issues like you listed. I have had many cysts before but didn't experience those symptoms. I have one now that is somewhat painful but more annoying. I would certainly follow up with a gyn to see what else may be going on. Good luck!

Mompa1

Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
(female)

AspieChic HB User
Re: 'Small' Ovarian Cyst or Something More?

Thanks! That's what I was thinking too. Just had the worst period ever and the pain/bloating still have not subsided. I'm usually good at diagnosing things, but when it comes to "lady problems" the symptoms are just too vague. Will update if I find anything out.

Closed Thread

Tags
abdominal pain, bloating, fatigue, ovarian cyst