It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
(female)

JuggleManic HB User
Ovarian cyst... possibly ruptured?

I had been having some conspicuous pains out of my lower right abdomen that had gotten progressively worse over a couple days--I went to the ER on Saturday thinking it was my appendix. As it turned out (to my relief!), it wasn't my appendix, but an ovarian cyst. They gave me a prescription for meloxicam and Percocet, and advised me to make an appointment with an OB after my next cycle. According to the ER doctor, the cyst is about 2 1/2 to 3 centimeters, so it's not that large.

Sunday afternoon, I had been laying down in bed feeling generally tired and lousy, but had to get up to go to dinner with my boyfriends' parents for Mother's Day. After getting up, I realized I felt like CRAP. A little dizzy but not so much so that I was stumbling, a little weirdly light-headed, my ears felt plugged by wouldn't pop or anything, and I felt a rather profound sense of nausea. The nausea was the most uncomfortable symptom--I had zero appetite, and barely had only a half a cup of soup at the restaurant. There wasn't any vomiting, but I came close a couple of times.

Throughout Sunday, as I was having the nausea and dizziness, the area over my affected ovary was visibly swollen and very tender to the touch, even with Percocet. I don't know anything about ovarian cysts, so I assumed these were all normal symptoms? Yesterday I just laid around all day, the area is still tender and swollen. I woke up about 4:00am feeling nauseated again, and I generally just don't feel good. Last night my temperature was 99.2, which to me doesn't seem necessarily clinically significant, so I blew that off.

My questions: If an ovarian cyst ruptures, does it always warrant medical attention? If it does rupture and is left untreated, would the symptoms wane or persist? Any sharp pains that I did have could have been masked by the Percocet (10 mg/325 mg), but I've taken Percocet before in the past and never had the side effects of dizziness or nausea.

What do you think? Is it possible the cyst ruptured?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Ovarian cyst... possibly ruptured?

AS long as the swelling is still there the cyst has not ruptured. The nausea and dizziness is probably from the meloxicam or combo with percocet. I would try stopping that and only use the percocet if you have used that before without difficulty. When a cyst ruptures, the pain is much sharper, worse, and you can barely move or straighten up to walk. The ruptured cyst causes pain similar to appendicitis, and typically lasts 2-3 days until the fluid gets absorbed in the abdomen/pelvis. There can also be vaginal bleeding along with a cyst rupture. Hopefully, it won't, and will shrink down after next period.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
(female)

JuggleManic HB User
Re: Ovarian cyst... possibly ruptured?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybud View Post
AS long as the swelling is still there the cyst has not ruptured. The nausea and dizziness is probably from the meloxicam or combo with percocet. I would try stopping that and only use the percocet if you have used that before without difficulty. When a cyst ruptures, the pain is much sharper, worse, and you can barely move or straighten up to walk. The ruptured cyst causes pain similar to appendicitis, and typically lasts 2-3 days until the fluid gets absorbed in the abdomen/pelvis. There can also be vaginal bleeding along with a cyst rupture. Hopefully, it won't, and will shrink down after next period.
Thank you for your reply!

I hadn't yet taken the meloxicam because I don't have health insurance and couldn't afford it--I've only taken the Percocet a few times for the pain.

I'll just keep an eye on it for now!

Closed Thread

Tags
ovarian cyst, ovarian cyst rupture