It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
(female)

darfanme HB User
Question Uterine Fibroids - Time for Surgery?

I'm a 30-year old woman, and I was diagnosed with uterine fibroids about two and a half years ago. I had an abdominal ultrasound at the time, and them my obgyn monitored them through an exam every six months. About two and a half months ago, I noticed that I could feel them externally when I pushed on my abdomen, which had not been the case previous. I just had another abdominal ultrasound, and found out that my fibroids have almost doubled in size in the past two and a half years. I now have two fibroids that are about 8cm and one fibroid that is about 6cm. I'm meeting with my fibroids gyn on Tuesday to discuss options.

I have been on birth control for years and I have no noticeable symptoms from the fibroids. My obgyn has said that she thinks that many people would have symptoms at this point, but I'm quite fit so my body is handling it. I am in recovery from an eating disorder, however, so the idea of my fibroids growing to the point where they might make a visible difference in my body shape is very distressing. That said, I also have medical trauma in my past, so the idea of more medical intervention is also really upsetting.

I know that, based on family history, myomectomy (I'm guessing abdominal) is probably in my future. At what point is this typical? I'm wondering what size fibroids usually are when a myomectomy is suggested. Also, for those of you who've had myomectomy through abdominal surgery, what was your recovery period like?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Uterine Fibroids - Time for Surgery?

Well, here's the thing about fibroids. They typically just keep an eye on them until they either grow too large or start causing symptoms. For me, I had one that kept getting bigger until it got to be the size of a grapefruit. The day after my last ultrasound my gyne called and said it had to come out. I was going to schedule the surgery within the next couple if weeks but then I started hemmoraging and it turned into having to get an emergency surgery. After what happened to me, I always tell women here who post about fibroids that if you start bleeding huge clots, get to the ER immediately. Don't wait like I did. I waited a week and I ended up needing transfusions.

If you're not having symptoms right now then you don't need to get it removed right now. But, make sure you are mindful of any bleeding that happens. If you start having bleeding that is out of control then you know it's time to do something.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #3
(female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User

Have you looked into UFE? I had one dine 6 months ago and it helped A LOT. I was having horrible bleeding and clots for 6 months strait but even if You don't have extreme bleeding is beneficial for any symptoms like pressure and cramping. If you want more info please reply running right now but feel free to ask!

Old 07-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
(female)

darfanme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
For me, I had one that kept getting bigger until it got to be the size of a grapefruit.
Was the fibroid itself the size of a grapefruit, or was your uterus the size of a grapefruit? I'm currently having no symptoms at all - no heavy bleeding, no cramping, no urinary/digestive symptoms, no back pain, etc. I have two fibroids that are about 8cm and one that is about 6cm. My obgyn said that she thinks that if I were less physically fit than I am, I'd be having symptoms.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

The fibroid was a grapefruit size. It explains a lot about why I was having the symptoms I was having!

Honestly if you're not having any symptoms right now I would just leave it alone for now. I know the prospect of possibly having an emergency situation in the future sucks but you don't want to go and have a myomectomy if its not needed. Trust me, having your abdomen ripped open and having to heal afterwards is not fun.

I knew about my fibroid for a long time, at least 2 years until it suddenly grew, like doubled or tripled in size over a 8 month span and then it made me hemorrhage, so that's when I got it out. But you're not having any issues so I suggest keeping an eye on it, like getting an ultrasound again after like 4-6 months or so, and watch out for symptoms. That would be my suggestion.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
(female)

mountainsky HB User

I have heard that exercise does make a difference in fibroid symptoms.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

darfanme HB User

Quote:
Honestly if you're not having any symptoms right now I would just leave it alone for now . . . you don't want to go and have a myomectomy if its not needed. Trust me, having your abdomen ripped open and having to heal afterwards is not fun.

I knew about my fibroid for a long time, at least 2 years until it suddenly grew, like doubled or tripled in size over a 8 month span and then it made me hemorrhage, so that's when I got it out.
Yeah, I've known about my fibroids for about 3 years now. However, my obgyn who found them during a pelvic said that she found them early because of my body type, and they may not have been detectable on someone else. It does seem that they have recently gone through a period of more rapid growth, so my plan is to have another ultrasound in December and see what they're doing. It's clear that I will need an open myomectomy; so it's not really matter of if, as much as it's a matter of when.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
(female)

darfanme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsky View Post
I have heard that exercise does make a difference in fibroid symptoms.
It seems to be for me! And, my obgyn said it's a fine balance. I asked if I should be exercising even more than I am, and she pointed out that exercising too much would tip the balance to weakening the body and being less able to cope with fibroids and fibroid treatment, so it's a matter of not crossing that line!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
(female)

mountainsky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by darfanme View Post
It seems to be for me! And, my obgyn said it's a fine balance. I asked if I should be exercising even more than I am, and she pointed out that exercising too much would tip the balance to weakening the body and being less able to cope with fibroids and fibroid treatment, so it's a matter of not crossing that line!
Yes, the challenge is to not over do it in exercise because too much does more harm than you think. Not just regarding the polyps but also in trying to balance out the hormones which I guess relates to polyps. Lol. I walk on the treadmill 15 min. a day 6 days a week but haven't done that because of back issues. It seems like always something.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
(female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User

That really stinks that exercise came worsen fibroids. I have been doing 40 minuet kickboxing workouts 5 days a week and notice my I'm feeling better emonotially as well as physically :0( do you guys think I should cut it back a bit? Is there anything else that can help lessen fibroid growth? I heard avoiding soy is good to do. I'm so upset that someone said fibroids can grow back faster after UFE :0( the on,y good thingis that you can have UFE repeatedly but elk it was very painful and I do not want to do it again!

Old 07-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have also heard to stay away from soy and other phytoestrogens like flax seed and I'm not sure what else. It's true that the better shape you're in physically the less you should have issues (in theory) because overweight women have more estrogen free flowing in their bodies which is one contributing factor to polyps and fibroids.

I have heard that fibroids can come back but it's not like polyps which can grow back within a few months. Fibroids tend to start small and stay that way for a while and not cause any problems until they start getting bigger and then all the sudden it's like they turn psychotic and cause all kinds of problems. I don't believe there is anything out there that can make you avoid them all together nor can you really stop them from growing without some type of surgical intervention. Unfortunately fibroids are one of the more obnoxious things we have to deal with as women.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
(female)

darfanme HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleTeaBlosso View Post
That really stinks that exercise came worsen fibroids. I have been doing 40 minuet kickboxing workouts 5 days a week and notice my I'm feeling better emonotially as well as physically :0( do you guys think I should cut it back a bit? Is there anything else that can help lessen fibroid growth? I heard avoiding soy is good to do. I'm so upset that someone said fibroids can grow back faster after UFE :0( the on,y good thingis that you can have UFE repeatedly but elk it was very painful and I do not want to do it again!
No, no . . . it's not that too much exercise is bad for the fibroids. Also, what you're doing sounds similar in amount to what I do. I have a history of compulsive exercise and an eating disorder, so my obgyn's point was that if I get to the point where I'm exhausting my body through exercise, I won't be as strong as possible for the surgery.

Also, my gyn didn't say that fibroids would grow back faster with UFE; she just stated that they are more likely to grow back. It doesn't mean that they will, nor does it mean that they won't with surgery.

Also, there is conflicting info about soy; see my comment below.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
(female)

darfanme HB User

Quote:
I have also heard to stay away from soy and other phytoestrogens like flax seed and I'm not sure what else.
I'm vegan, which means that I have a lot of soy and flax in my diet. lol It's pretty clear that I was going to get fibroids no matter what - based on family history - and all of my doctors say that family history is much more influential than what I eat in my case. However, they've also pointed out that it's possible that, contrary to previous beliefs, that phytoestrogens found in soy and flaxseed can actually slow fibroid growth because they phytoestrogens actually block the reception of the estrogen that a woman's body produces.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-22-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:30 PM   #14
(female)

LittleTeaBlosso HB User

Thanks so much guys for clearing that up. I hope in my lifetime I see a cure for fibroids. It ruined an entire year of my life and caused me a lot of emotional and physical pain.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-22-2013 at 02:43 PM.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #15
(female)

darfanme HB User

There's actually conflicting views about phytoestrogens - some say that it helps with fibroids. I'm vegan, which means that I have a lot of soy and flax in my diet. lol It's pretty clear that I was going to get fibroids no matter what - based on family history - and all of my doctors say that family history is much more influential than what I eat in my case. However, they've also pointed out that it's possible that, contrary to previous beliefs, that phytoestrogens found in soy and flaxseed can actually slow fibroid growth because they phytoestrogens actually block the reception of the estrogen that a woman's body produces.

{deleted}

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-22-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Do not comment on board moderation on the boards. Thanks.

Closed Thread