It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Women's Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
(female)

Lola2014 HB User
Question DHEA & low Testosterone in Women?? Adrenal issues?

Hello.... Does anyone know what DHEA of 39 and Testosterone level of less than 2 means in a woman? I previously suffered from PCOS but am 5 years post menopause and during the PCOS phase had upper body obesity, insulin resistance and a WHOLE LOT of excess body and facial hair. It was super hard to lose weight (had to eat less than 800 cal to achieve anything! and normal diet was a weight GAIN). Lost quite a bit of hair... in clumps.

Now it seems everything has turned the tables and I am losing rate very quickly. TOO quickly. All my excess body hair just fell off/disappeared! I went from high blood pressure to really LOW blood pressure that can go as low as 36 diastolic and 69 systolic and causes fainting and dizziness.

I have become extremely fatigued. Was tested for narcolespy because I have episodes of "forced sleep attacks" and actually fell asleep in the middle of the day, after a full night's sleep while DRIVING! (obviously NOT driving anymore).

I started developed flashing colored zigzaggy lights in my line of vision that are so bad they obscure my vision but NO associated migraine with these.

My skin tans super fast, but fades just as quickly and when it fades, it doesn't fade evenly... I end up with patches of very very dark blotches and white blotches together. I have also developed multiple flat roundish white spots on arms and legs that will NOT tan.

My moods have gone psycho.

I am continually fatigued but have a boost of energy late in the day.

Used to have trouble falling asleep. Now I am immediately OUT when I hit the bed. And also just fall asleep all the time. Eating, talking, on the toilet. Doesn't matter.

Seems my whole body has gone haywire and finally got a DR to take some blood tests which showed abnormal testosterone. Which led to more blood tests which showed normal thyroid, but very low DHEA.

Have chronically low vitamin D despite dark tan/plenty of sun and 50,000 iu 1x week.... upped now to 2x per week.

Also have chronically low levels of sodium and chloride (just under normal range by 1-5 points), low BUN, high or upper level high potassium and calcium. And Anion Gap showed high last check.

I used to be a pretty consistent blood pressure of an average 110/69 but now can go chronically and consistently under 100 for both (90/52, 79/45, etc.) But in the last week noticed some super HIGH spikes (162/100???)

Cognitive testing showed severe cognitive decline and memory loss but that is better with the new med I am taking for sleep attacks (Modafinil 200 mg 1-2X a day). That also helps with mood swings and lack of energy.

Diagnosed with "severe daytime hypersomulence, FMS (yeah, right), degnerative disk and joint disease, well-controlled diabetes type II, and most recently they found dilated pelvic veins.

Also suffer from extreme lower back pain but ortho can find no apparent cause for such severe daily pain.

Is it possible I have some kind of adrenal burnout? Maybe I have just put my body through so much stress and now I burned those adrenals out? Before being fired for cognitive issues that made me "stupid" at work where I previously excelled, I worked in the world of advertising and design which was super high stress and I thrived on that. Lots and lots of stress in my "past" life before disability. But now I cannot handle stress of ANY type.

What the heck is this? Also seems that levels can fluctuate. I never know from day to day, minute to minute how either my mind or body will perform. Somedays much smarter than others, but mostly just dumb. Pain levels rise and fall without any obvious reason. Can be stable, happy and then WHAM crazy crying jags, depression and mood swings. NO... I am not bipolar!

Also to note... endocrine runs rampant in my family. Oldest daughter had hyperthyroidism, the Grave's disease and a thyroid storm and has had her thyroid removed. On Synthroid for life. I had PCOS. Hypothryroidism in nearly everyone in my family but me. Youngest daughter suffered from precocious puberty. Both daughters have excessive facial hair, but we come from Nordic descent so that is weird!

Anyone have any ideas?

I have been referred to an endo... but don't hold out any hope they will figure this out because I haven't had great luck with docs in my network.

Any tips MOST appreciated. Or if anyone has a similar story to share, I would love to hear it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread

Tags
adrenal, dhea, fatigue, low blood pressure, testosterone