Re: Chronic illness
Re: Chronic illness
[ Back to Messages
Posted by someone hoping to help
on May 19, 1999 at 15:54:58:
In Reply to: Chronic illness posted by Susan on April 25, 1999 at 23:34:57:
There are a number of ways to boost your immune system:
1. Try taking DHEA supplements for about 3-6 months - be sure to taper off of them slowly when you have reached the end of the 3-6 month period.
2. Vitamins C, A, E, zinc and selenium are anti-oxidants and also support the immune system. Make sure you are taking appropriate doses for your specific metabolism and body requirements (get your NAET practitioner to test you via kinesiology/muscle testing for quantities and supplement brands that are best for you).
3. Garlic helps fight all sorts of infections, including viral; try some raw garlic with a meal occasionally.
4. Echinacae and Golden Seal (herbs) are supposed to boost the immune system, too.
5. Avoid sugar, excessive or prolonged stress, depression - these all supress the immune system.
6. Moderate (not too little or too much) exercise, such as Tai Chi or water aerobics, or even a 20-minute walk 3-4 times a week, can help stimulate your immune system.
7. Laughing can have a positive effect on your entire body in general - there are a number of joke web pages, "joke a day" emails you can subscribe to, humerous calendars, etc.
Hope this helps...
: I am a 58 year old women who has had chronic allergies in the form asthma and eczema. I have been on prednisone for over 44 years. I am now trying to withdraw from prednisone as side effects of long term use are setting in. Osteoporossis etc.
: I am on fixed income and struggle to make ends meet.
: I go to acupuncture, do yoga, meditate, take chinese herbs (made up for me by my acupuncturist.) I am having a very hard time withdrawing tho' I have come down from 25mg and 10mg on alternate days to 9mg and 3mg alternately. It has been so difficult and I recently had to take a short steroid boost to get through some acute eczema and allergic reaction.
: I have also done NAET which is Nambudripad Allergy Elimation Treatment. NAET has helped me get rid of lots of my allergies but I have had to stop for a while because of weak immune system. I'm not sure what I am asking for besides communication, support and info tho' that does about cover it.
: Imagine some of the stuff I have mentioned, such as NAET may be new to most but my concern is how to build up my immune system, who to turn to and a willingness to share problems of isolation and fear .
: Thanks Susan