i had a harmonic scalpel hemorhoidectomy, 4/23/07, for external hemorhoids. The general surgeon removed 3 tags, a pea size, 2 rice size. I NOW have a fissure at the 6 o'clock or unhealed wound, 1/2 inch deep in from the mouth, and 3 tags/roids- double its original size.
for the last 4 weeks, i've using topical ointment, diltiazem/channel blocker with anamantle, 3 or 4 times a day. I feel it's working but not quick enough and (I think) anamantle is weakening my tissues 'cause I bleed more when using that so i think i should stop using.
i've been drinking enough water, at least 64 oz, eating healthy - greens, plus 2 stp flax oil, 2 tsp benefiber, and 2 docusate sodium. my stools are good although a little hard when it first come out, and i don't know how to change that, making them all evenly soft, but i guess that it's normal for everyone. when the stool stay at the colon area the colon absorbs a little bit water, which cause the stool to get a little harder than the rest. I am training to have bm twice a day, AM and PM, which means I have to eat more than I should. other than that I am having Bm consistently on every AM but I still bleed only during bm, and the pain and spasm kicked. The pain subsided after 4/5 hr later.
I am seeing 2 colorectal surgeons and 1 general surgeon, and here are my surgeon's recommendations:
1. physical therapy - anal dilation? no clue what she will do!
2. anal advancement flap - re-cut the tissues and staple/stitch back together
3.cutting the tag to reduce pressure for the fissure to heal (suggested by the general surgeon) - most conservative method
i feel good with these drs but after the fiasco I experienced w/ the surgeon who operated on me i have difficulty trusting any dr again. I am going to do it right this time by doing my own research and ask questions with people who had gone through this ordeal. i learn from this healthboard that many drs do not tell their patients the truth, especially the one who operated on me. My goal is to find the RIGHT ONE to operate on me, but i am clueless on how to accomplish this.
so, here my questions:
1. I live in Orange County, CA, and I notice that there are many ABCRS certified surgeons, but what kind of question should I ask them without offending them?
2. Does any one know a referral in Southern California? I plan to join the local colorectal support group so I can get information from them but this will take time which will delay my plan
3. What should I do w/ the recommendations from my surgeons above?
4. in WATCHOUT's thread - all her dr. did was removed a tag/roid that run deep into her fissure, which caused the fissure from healing
5. Should I have the real thing by having fissurectomy, anal advacement flap, a substitution for LIS, where the dr. will have a small incision into the sphincter muscle helping it to relax? or should I have a full LIS procedure? what i fear is the side effects with the LIS. If I have incontinence my career is over!!!!!
6. Should I take the most conservative approach first such as recom #3
Every morning before having a bm I am pain free and didn't even know I have a health problem. In summary, I need to seal this fissure/unhealed wound so that it can no longer retear during bm, causing bleeding, inflamation to the roid/tag. i notice too that the biggest roid, a pea size, is located outside the fissure area. i can honestly say that i can live w/ the roids i have. i want the fissure and the bleeding to stop.
fyi...i was a healthy person and I didn't need a hemorrhoidectomy because I didn't go through any physical pain and my so-called problem then didn't cause me to have tear on my eyes. The reason I decided to have the hemorrhoidectomy was I am about to turn 40, so i want to take care whatever "problem" i have now and hope for the best in the future. Little that I am causing a BIGGER problem for myself. I can never imagine the situation I put myself in!!!!!
I know that my fissure is 90% healed and if i can stop the bleeding for a week I am confident that the bleeding will be gone. I 'tried to fast' for 3 days by eating only activa yogurt, dried prunes, and drinking water. What a mistake! I had constipation resulted doing that. right now I am clueless on how to make treat the final 10% of my fissure!!!!
I've been taking 1 or 2 docusate sodium daily, plus 2 stp benefiber for the last 3 months, and I stopped taking the DSodium las night because I am worry that my body might get used to stool softener medication, only 2 stp of benefiber yesterday - one at breakfast and dinner. My BM movement as of this morning is OK, still had the same bleeding!!! I am trying very hard to train my colon so i can have 2 bm a day, am and pm.
What are the side effects of taking Colace, docusate sodium, miralax? I took 1 stp for miralax for couple days before bedtime and I felt my body did not like what it is in miralax although it was doing its job, so I stopped.
Contemplating to go under the knife for advancement flap, LIS (to eliminate future recurrence of fissure), but before having the 2nd surgery, I plan on trying some of these natural/the unpoplar treatments in hopes to heal my AF/unhealed wound.
* Athlete's Foot Cream Tinactine
* BF&C ointment
* Hamamelis and Zinc cream
* Wheat Germ Oil, Gotu Kula & Wheat Grass
* vitamin E suppositories and oil
* oil of oregano
* Hamamelis and Zinc cream
Many people healed their AF by using the mentioned home remedies above. I know in my situation is a little different because my problem was cause my mankind, not nature! but a crack is a crack, right?
Did anyone on this board have success trying these treatments? and what are the results?
What are the best way to train your colon so you can have 2 bm a day? what are the natural foods/fruits/drinks so i can make this happen? should i drink plenty of prune juice?
What would you do if you were in my shoes?