[ Back to Messages
Posted by Ken
on September 02, 2000 at 11:01:55:
In Reply to: palpitations posted by babs on September 01, 2000 at 19:53:49:
: How many palpitations per day is too many? I hate these horrible things and get around 10 times per day that I feel it either beat really hard or skip or add a beat. I have been for all testing and all is negative. I was just wondering how many other people out there get these things as often as me??????? Any input would be appreciated. Babs (PS - 39 year old female with no other health problems)
While I don't have this condition myself, I do a lot of support work involving heart patients, and my wife has the same problem.
Most likely, you have a condition named PVC's (Premature Ventricular Contractions). Most of the time they are harmless, but they are annoying.
You have been tested so your assumed PVC's are in the annoying group.
Here is what most medical professionals recommend when it comes to PVC's:
1. Avoid and control stress. If needed, take a stress management course. Many hospitals offer these courses from time to time at a nominal fee.
2. Avoid caffeine (regular coffee, tea and colas for example.
3. If you smoke, do everything you can to stop.
4. Adopt a regular exercise program cleared with your doctor. Exercise, aerobic type, is one the best stress relievers.
5. Avoid alcoholic beverages.
I have also listed the URL of The American Heart Assn. where you can find out more about PVC's. Use their Heart & Stroke A-Z Guide and look up PVC's.
Good luck to you.