It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Message Board

Posted by Dave Pierced on November 01, 1999 at 12:05:35:

In Reply to: what kind of doctor should I see for a potential adult ADD diagnosis? posted by Dee-Dee on November 01, 1999 at 11:20:43:

: Hi everyone. I'm new here and am hoping someone might be able to give me some advice... I am suspect that I may have ADD but I have no idea how to confirm my suspicions. I'm 32 and am completely healthy with the exception of a whacky Thyroid (it's hypo) so the only doctors I see are my OB/GYN and an endocrinologist (both, once a year). I recently completed an adult ADD symptoms checklist that I found on the web and my score was off the chart. I've suspected for years that there's something "up" with me but have never considered pursuing it until just recently (as a kid, everything about me was explained by my being left handed - if you can believe that!). Then, recently, I've had the opportunity to learn more about ADD. In reading some of the posts herein, I've nearly cried as I recognized many of my own characteristics, ideosyncracies, etc. As a kid, I was held back in the 2nd grade and my parents were constantly told that I would be a wonderful student if I only applied myself. As an adult, at work I have to force myself to focus on what people are saying to me. During meetings and conference calls I have a very difficult time staying focused on the task at hand, my mind is always wandering here and there... I am always juggling several projects (at home and work) at the same time... almost nothing gets my undivided attention. Well, this is just the tip of my iceberg; I won't bore you with any more at this point. However, if anyone has any suggestions for me - especially as to how I might go about obtaining an accurate diagnosis - either way, I would very much appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

:Dee Dee,
As a child I saw diagnosed with Dyslexia. As an Adult I determined that it was not that but ADD and I have some experience with doctors. First, you should find a Physicist because you many need some medication, second you need to find one that either specializes in adult ADD or at least has some knowledge in it and believes in it. (Believe it or not, some don’t feel ADD extends into adulthood). Save yourself some time and try to do as much research on various doctors. They are not all alike. Personally I feel that most don’t have very good “chair side” manner. I did have on doctor that did seem to show genuine concern for helping most other basically listened and dispensed drugs.
I hope this was helpful. Good Luck!,

Follow Ups

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Site owned and operated by™
Terms of Use © 1998-2017™ All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!