View Single Post
Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
Teresa882003
Veteran

Teresa882003 HB User
Re: What does 1 and 90 mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by maak823
I agree that it does cause a lot of unwanted stress- however; you do want a diagnosis before you go into labor. For example, if DS- there are often heart problems, etc associated and the Dr. may not want the stress of a natural birth for the baby. If it goes the other way and Spina Bifida is the diagnosis- then you would want a Neurosurgeon and a team of Dr's ready to perform immedate surgery to close the opening around the spine in order to reduce the amount of paralysis.

So, all in all - it is a good thing to know and be prepared, even if it wouldn't change your mind. And you can always prove the false positive AFP wrong with a Level 3 ultrasound and an amnio.

Good Luck to you on your new adventure- sounds like you are almost there!!!!!
I have had 6 ultrasounds and no apparent problems are showing up with the exception of the placenta being low lying and it looks as if I will require a C section anyway do to that and the baby being transverse or sideways!!! I had such a hard time conceiving that I couldn't imagine having the Amnio and risking a miscarriage. But everyone is different and some will have to know. I guess I am relying alot on my faith and the fact that I will take what the Lord blesses us with!

I am not saying others shouldn't have these tests done, just for me it wasn't what I chose to do. I felt the stress from the tests would make things worse on me and the baby. But I realize others have to know prior to and that is their option.
Its a Girl 1/12/06