View Single Post
Old 07-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #3
Verucalise
(female)

Verucalise HB User
Re: Behavior problems - help!

I work with DS children everyday . (I work in a private village that specializes in down syndrome, and how to help them achieve independence, security, and not feel so alone in the world.) Many of the teenagers that enter our village have experienced changes in hormones, body changes, and most of all - changes in attitudes. I can't possibly know what could cause your son to have these fits of outrage, but the one thing that I was taught, when I first started working there -- don't automatically think it's just a "behavioral" problem. Think Medical first. We see changes in our residents all the time, different behaviors, from violence to crying, different actions that would normally not occur. Many of our guys and gals have either a hypo or hyper thyroid, and anytime they start to change, we take blood tests to make sure their dosages don't need to be changed. If all else fails -- implement a behavior plan. We have to have any of our plans approved by a human rights committee and a psychologist, and they are very realistic and to the point. He has to learn consequence for his actions -- even something very little to you, might be great to him. If he has a good day, at dinner he can have lets say, a soda. A bad day, he is not rewarded. Keep a chart, show him how well he does on good days, and what he will get. DS children are the hardest to keep up with... because, really, you don't know exactly what could be going on in their heads, or how much they really understand about what's going on in their lives.

good luck!

Verucalise