View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 09:55 AM   #1
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 6
clsimmons HB User
incontinence nurse / urologist

For the past six months, I have been experiencing urinary incontinence. I am currently seeing an incontinence nurse, who has said that my bladder is not emptying properly, and I am left with approximately 400ml of urine in my bladder after going to the toilet. She has taught me to self catheterise and this has been helping. However, she has made it clear that she does not know that cause and that she doesn’t want to refer me to a urologist for further tests because I have been reluctant to be examined in the past (due to being abused as a child). Although I hate being examined, I do not want to carry on wetting myself for a long time, and would be ok with an examination if the doctor was female – I have learnt to trust this incontinence nurse over the past months to the extent of letting her catheterise and examine me. I now do not know what to do, because it is not practical to keep catheterising myself long term and do not want to cause a problem with the person I am seeing now. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb