View Single Post
Old 12-27-2004, 01:35 PM   #6
dogtired

dogtired HB User
Re: high thyroid peroxidase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie T.
Can I be loosing my hair even before the TSH is affected. This whole thing started because I am loosing my hair (diffuse shedding), not only on my scalp but my arms and legs . These are the numbers. I am 24 and female, reletively small, if any of this factors into anything.

TSH 1.81 (.35-5.5, normal)
Thyroid Peroxidase 230 (0-35 normal)
Thyroid Binding Globulin 19
ANA- positive

Any thoughts on these lab numbers would help! Like I said I am having hairloss (hypo), but weight loss as well (hyper). No doc cares so this will be me figuring it out. What do people think?
Kathie

Here's some info on the positive ANA:

What does a positive ANA mean? Unlike a pregnancy test, which if positive generally means only one thing, a positive ANA can mean many things. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease. Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA yet fewer than 1 in 1,000 have lupus. Thus, at least 95% of the people who have a positive ANA do not have lupus! A positive ANA test can sometimes run in families, even if family members have no evidence of lupus. The ANA is only a test and, like a high cholesterol value, a positive ANA doesn't necessarily equate having a disease. A positive ANA is only an indicator which points in several possible directions, and indicates that further investigation and analysis may be needed.

Also with having hair loss on other areas of your body you might want to
see a dermatologist to rule out some form of alopecia.