Old 12-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #7
Meep
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Re: high thyroid peroxidase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie T.
Can I be loosing my hair even before the TSH is affected.

Yes, you might lose hair with a "normal" TSH because normal doesn' mean normal for you. How do you know your TSH is not affected? HAve you ever had it tested before when you were feeling your best? If your TSH is normally at .7 when you feel your best, then a TSH of 1.81 would be elevated for you, right?

Another thing to take into account is that TSH can vary by up to 3.0 in the course of one day in a "normal" person, so, depending on when your TSH was measured, it moght actually be as high as 4.81 at another time of day--even more elevated. Due to its variability, TSH is not really a good indicator of thyroid health, and is really only useful as a screening tool at its extremes. Many smart docs have realized that a TSH over 2 is suspect for hypothyroidism. Many smart docs also realize that the presence of elevated thyroid antibodies is cause to start treatment with thyroid meds.

Quote:
This whole thing started because I am loosing my hair (diffuse shedding), not only on my scalp but my arms and legs .
There are many causes for hair loss, hypothyroidism only being one of them. The presence of antibodies tells me that you are probably hypo, but as I stated in a previous post, get your Ferritin and other iron levels checked. If your ferritin is below 50 you will very likely be losing hair.

Quote:
These are the numbers. I am 24 and female, reletively small, if any of this factors into anything.

TSH 1.81 (.35-5.5, normal)
Thyroid Peroxidase 230 (0-35 normal)
Thyroid Binding Globulin 19
ANA- positive
TSH, possibly suspect for hypo, depending on the time of day that it was taken.

TPO Antibodies: warrant treatment with a trial of thyroid meds.

Thyroid Binding Globulin: IS this Thyroid Binding Globulin antibodies or just thyroid binding globulin. Also I can't tell anything without the lab range on this one. My GUESS is that it is TBG Antibodies and that it is slightly elevated, but maybe still "normal" (I HATE the word "normal" though.)

ANA as someone already explained, this is wide open for interpretation. It might be elevated because of the thyroid antibodies, if I remember correctly.

Quote:
Any thoughts on these lab numbers would help! Like I said I am having hairloss (hypo), but weight loss as well (hyper). No doc cares so this will be me figuring it out. What do people think?
Kathie
Waht other symptoms are you having? Hairloos and weight loss can't be the only two things you are experiencing. Other symptoms and a full lab workup woudl help to paint a better picture of what is going on.

Labs I would demand at your next doctor visit (don't back down. have the doc "humor" you and get these done):

Free T3
Free T4
TSH
Red Blood Cell Count
Hemoglobin
Iron
Ferritin
Sodium
Potassium
Chloride
BiCarbonate
and a Liver Panel {includes Albumin, Alkaline Phosphatase, Alanine Transaminase (ALT) (SGPT), Aspartate Transaminase (AST) (SGOT), Total Bilirubin, Direct Billirubin, and Total Protein}

The above tests will paint a good picture of your electrolytes, Iron and thyroid levels as well as yoru liver health (Important for thyroi function, since the liver converts most of the T3 that your body uses). I still think you need to be on thyroid meds already, but a clearer picture need to be seen and interpreted.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...