View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
SpineAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: need tips and advice on a pinched nerve thx!

I was only 36 when my symptoms came out of no where. I woke up one morning with intense pain radiating down my left arm and into my fingers. I was eventually referred to a Neurosurgeon who did the MRI, he said I could try Epidural Steroid Injections (ESI) first before considering surgery. He referred me to a pain management doctor and did the ESI. They worked GREAT for nearly 2 years and when the symptoms came back last Spring the MRI showed some spurring and the second attempt at ESI's did not work.

At that point I had a new primary care physician who highly recommended an Orthopedic Spine Surgeon who specialized in cervical care and he was great.

I had a C5-C7 ACDF (anterior cervical discectomy and fusion) in May of this year at age 39. I won't say it has been all roses and that I have no residual symptoms - I do have occasional pain but nowhere near what I had before the surgery.

I have a 'desk job' which, of course, puts me in a different position than someone with a physical job. But I will say the surgery was worth it to alleviate pain.

Karin