View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #2
BlueAtlas
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: Intense Pain without wearing brace

Hi Babs,
Nah, you're not wordy. You're just trying to make what you're going through clear to us. I'm almost 8 weeks post op, different from yours, mine was lumbar and up into lower thoracic. I still shower only every 2-3 days. It's just too much to do it everyday. I love those wet wipes that so many companies are putting out now (Charmin, Cottonelle, etc.). They make washing up at the sink on the not-showering days so much easier, so at least I don't feel yucky.

On those shower days, I still feel weak and unsteady out of the brace. I'm always anxious to get back into it (or else lie back down) as soon as I can. But I don't have pain that continues through the day afterward. When do you go back to your doctor? I would mention it to him and see what he says.

My doctor said I would wear the brace for 3-5 months. If you're not ready to do without it at 3 months, there's no reason why you can't continue to wear it past that. If you're still having this kind of discomfort at that point, he'll probably want you to hang in there with it a little longer.

Maybe there are others on the board who have had surgeries more like yours who can give better feedback.

You're still early on, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Maybe you need a little higher dose of your pain meds?

A chilly Sunday afternoon... a good time to put on a movie and rest!

Take care,
Emily