View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 08:16 AM   #19
SteveGn
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Re: My Suggestions For Anxiety, Panic and Obsessive Thoughts

BellaM and Shorebird, I’m very glad that something I said has been of help to you. What a great tool the Internet and this healthboard are for helping and supporting one another!

I started thinking some more on some of the things that helped me out when I was going through a rough time and was surprised that I had forgotten them when I originally posted on this thread. I thought I would share them here because they were very helpful to me.

The following helped to take some of the power away from the negative thoughts and “triggers” that were eating me up. Instead of seeing them as some six-headed dragon that was trying to knock my front door down and gobble me up, I finally started seeing them as teammates (or coaches, allies, reminders) that were pushing me toward more personal growth and the practice of mindfulness ( or “just being”). I would thank them for helping me, instead of an opposite type reaction. When something is thought of in a negative fashion, it tends to holds its power.

When I would get in a situation such as a social setting, or on my way to one, and anxiety would start flaring up, I would replace the word “anxious” with the word “excited”. In other words, I would think, “I’m excited to be here”, or “This wedding that I’m going to is going to be exciting”. This really helped to take the edge off of the anxiety. I’m pretty sure I read about this technique in a book on phobias.

Along similar lines as the above paragraph, it’s only natural to feel anxious at times. Instead of saying to yourself, “Oh heck, there’s my anxiety or panic problem trying to come forth”, substitute that with words such as, “This is a common situation for people to feel nervous and anxious”. In other words, be careful not to blame the anxiety/panic problem every time you feel uncomfortable, when you may simply be experiencing a somewhat natural and common reaction.

Slowing down my physical movements helps to calm me and remain more in the present moment. I’ve always seemed to suffer from “hurryupitis”. This is actually a common mindfulness practice which really works if you can stick with it. I’m still surprised at how easy it is for me to find myself back in a hurry up mode - and for no apparent reason.

Don’t know if this will be of any help but feel a need to add it here. I personally seemed to be helped by taking magnesium. I still take about 400 mg a day, along with the same amount of calcium ( supposedly the calcium is needed in order for the magnesium to be effective). The magnesium seems to be especially helpful with heart issues, such as rapid and/or irregular heart rate, and also seemed to take the edge off of some of the anxiety and panic for me. Some feel that a deficiency of magnesium IS the reason for some of the above problems and many other health problems. Our soils are becoming depleted of this important mineral, according to sources that I’ve read.

Well I have to hit the road for a few days. Hope some of these suggestions will be of help to someone - they certainly have helped me. Take care, Steve