View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007, 07:33 AM   #23
SteveGn
(male)

SteveGn HB User
Re: My Suggestions For Anxiety, Panic and Obsessive Thoughts

Shorebird, I’m glad to report that I didn’t need to replace the word “anxious” with “exciting” during my trip since I felt very relaxed the whole time. Good to hear about your positive experience the other night . By the way, I was in the OH and PA area. I travel all over the U.S., but it varies from week to week.

BayouBound, Sorry you’re having a rough time. This whole anxiety thing seems to have many different faces to it. Some people have a generalized anxiety (GAD) that seems to be present for no apparent reason - or maybe reasons that aren’t yet detected. Others seem to have panic attacks for no apparent reason. It sounds like you may know the reasons for your anxiety, which at least gives you a head start in getting through it. Either way, a meditation/mindfulness practice is something I would highly recommend to anyone, even if they weren’t feeling any anxiety.

Jon Kabat-Zinn has a book called “Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You From Anxiety, Fear, and Panic (co-authored by Jeffrey Brantley). I haven’t actually read this book, but years back I read a book on mindfulness by Kabat-Zinn and found it very helpful. The title of the book started with something such as “Wherever You Go, There You Are…“. He also has a CD-Audio called “Mindfulness For Beginners”.

For someone who wants to not only read about the basic how-to of meditation and mindfulness, but also wants to read about the spiritual aspects of it, the book “Mindfulness In Plain English” by Bhante Gunaratana, is hard to beat. Chapters such as “Mindfulness vs. Concentration”, “What’s In It For You”, and other very useful chapters help make this book one of my favorites. As the title suggests, it really is worded in a very understandable manner.

I don’t know specifically the circumstances that are causing your anxiety, but a CBT book such as the one Shorebird suggested may be very useful to you. The “Anxiety & Phobia Workbook” by Edmund J. Bourne, may work well for you also. Hang in there Marc and keep us posted. Steve