View Single Post
Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Utah
Posts: 198
BobM HB User
Re: Surgery vs. Watchful Waiting.

Whether to have surgery or not is a hard call to make - depends on each person and their situation. For me, the deciding factor to go ahead was the loss of function (weakness, atrophy, etc) which can become permanent if it goes on too long. My condition (fusion of C4/5/6/7 with two ACDF surgeries) went undiagnosed for so long, that I ended up with some loss that is probably permanent, but I've recoved 90%.

Pain is one thing, but symptoms like weakness may be an indication of something that could become permanent - maybe a good idea to talk with your Drs about the risks you would be taking, if you want to play 'wait and see'. Most people seem to report improvement from having surgery, but there are no guarantees, and there are risks.

Good wishes!