View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 36
nikkers76 HB User
Tonsillectomy post-op: Day 7 - I'm in heaven!!

... and I don't mean that the pain has killed me. In fact, I mean quite the opposite

I've really struggled throughout this recovery period, as have so many of you on here and my heart goes out to everyone who's recovering. This board has been a Godsend and so have all you people who have put your experiences and words of hope out there for others. But let me tell you (and sweet Jesus, let this not be premature) that there is hope as early as 7 days post-op.

Day 2 was one of my worst days with a fever of 38°C (100.4°F), severe facial flushing, coughing and vomiting (a stitch was scratching my throat making me gag). I also woke up with ear pain and a thick coating of mucus that I've had on my tonsil bed since then.

Day 3 wasn't much of a picnic and Days 4 and 5 were pretty much the same. I knew that my day or more of hell (the scabs coming off) was probably fast approaching.

On Day 6 the pain was the most excruciating I've ever felt, and I've been through 4 other operations before. It was worse than day 2. If someone had of offered to euthenise me, I probably would have agreed I could hardly swallow, I couldn't talk, mouthing my words hurt my tongue and my throat and drinking water was like swallowing razor blades. Anything cold hurt and I had to drink luke-warm fluids. I felt extremely nauseous, I had referred pain in my ears, dark circles and bags under my eyes (which I never get by the way) and I was very dizzy. 3 times I sobbed like a baby, uncontrollably, because I couldn't bear the pain anymore. I was a basket case and the limit of my pain threshold.

Fast-forward Day 7: I actually slept last night! I SLEPT I TELL YOU!!! When I woke up this morning, the pain was NOTHING like it was yesterday. It was a ten-fold improvement. I can talk louder (I do still sound like I have marbles in my mouth though), I ate 2 macadamia and white chocolate biscuits for breakfast and I can get water down without unberable pain. It stings a little, but frankly, I don't care. I skipped up the hallway this morning in a Xanadu moment singing "I'm Alive" by ELO. I have more energy already and for the first time in a week, I'm actually wearing make-up. I've been so disheartened all week that I didn't have the will to do my most favourite girly-thing ever.

So what do I attribute my recovery to?

1. VOLTAREN RAPID 25 (diclofenac potassium 25mg). This is the ONLY painkiller that has worked wonders for me and here in Australia, you don't need a prescription. My sister bought this anti-inflammatory for me yesterday and not long after taking one tablet, I was able to eat and drink with very minimal pain and the scabs started sloughing off. This - without a doubt - has been my miracle drug.

2. Keeping myself occupied - watching lots of TV and DVD's, walking around the house for a change of scenery, having baths and showers whenever I felt like it, going for a drive in the car as a passenger just to get out of the house, reading magazines and books.

3. Crying - when you need to cry, do it. Holding it in was making it worse for me. I was scared to cry because I thought it would be agonising. It wasn't. I really do believe that when you don't release stress, it slows down the healing process.

4. Keep Positive. It's very hard to do, I know. You'll have severe ups and downs throughout the process. You'll go from feeling positive to dreadful in a heartbeat. But keep reminding yourself that this is one of the best things you will ever do for your health.

HOWEVER - do not overeat because it doesn't hurt. You don't want to cause bleeding. I haven't bled at all during the dreaded de-scabbing process and the Voltaren has allowed me to eat to drink plenty of water, which in turn has made the scabs come off so easily and with hardly any pain. I take one tablet every 6 hours and last night, I took one Mersyndol and a Voltaren at 11pm to aid sleep. I woke up this morning at 4am and took another Mersyndol and Voltaren and slept until 8.30am.

I still look like one of the Tokyo Shock Boys when I drink (fluids tend to randomly projectile out of my nose) but...

♪♫♪♫ I'm alive! And the world shines for me today
Seems like forever (and a day), thought I could never (feel this way)
Is this really me? I'm alive, I'm alive, I'm alive!

Corny, I know, but nothing could some it up better for me today.

Last edited by nikkers76; 07-11-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb