View Single Post
Old 03-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
lfoster21
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Havin 4 level fusion, when can I travel?

For myself, my 2nd fusion was just a 2 level and I was in the hospital for 5 days, because they could not find the correct meds. that I could keep down, but would still help with the pain. Then, I was sent to a rehab. center, because I did not have family at home to help me and also because I had stairs to get to my apt. An unexpected event was since all the nerves were being moved around in order to get to my spine, something happened and I had a hard time lifting my feet off the ground to walk. So, rehab turned out to be a good thing anyway. When I could take care of myself, that meant doing very basic things. I was not able to be a passenger of a car for several weeks (aprx. 3) and that was for short distances. Even if you plan to lay down the whole time (which would probably be difficult for 7 hrs.), you'd be suprised how every slight turn and bump can be felt. I found the best thing I could do was to sit in the front passenger seat, laying back but supporting myself with ea. arm pushing against the door/console and had my feet well planted srtraight ahead. This way, every time we turned or stopped, I moved very little.

I would highly suggest that you first talk to your Dr. and make it clear that you will not have anyone to help you at home and that is a concern of yours. I would also make sure to remind him of this, the day of the surgery, when he visits you prior to surgery. That way he will put it on your file and the nurse and social worker will be aware of it. The Social Worker will come to your room and ask all kinds of questions about your living arrangements, so that she can make whatever arrangements that she needs to. Remind her of this at that time. They will also keep you in the hospital longer, if they know that you are going to be alone. They will use that extra time to make sure you are walking well, can do stairs (if you have stairs in you home or to get to your home), you are voiding and eating well. Basically, they will be more inclined to keep you until they are comfortable that you can take care of your self.

Good luck.

Lorie

Good luck and I suggest finding some help in your own house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.