View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,120
feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Traumatic Brain Injury

honestly,the best type of doc to have an eval by would be some level of physical medicine doc or physiatrist(this is not a psyc doc) these are both types of specialists who do rehab type therepys on people who have suffered either TBI like you or spinal cord injury,like me. my son went thru the TBI a few years ago. he had a double skull fracture,a frontal lobe brain bleed(severely affected his cognative functions) and was in a coma for about three weeks at varying levels. he had a neurosurgeon consulting on his case but the 'main' treatment and assessments came from the physical medicine doc.

do you have a confirmed TBI or are you just wondering if you suffered one from some sort of injury to your head? have you actually even seen a neurologist or neurosurgeon or had an MRI done or any other type of testing to confirm?

i think your best bet here as far as any real evaluation goes and also help with the appropriate type of therepys would be to find any type of facility or hospital that has a rehabiltative therepy dept or handles level one trauma. these hospitals just usually have all the rehab needs right there and availiable.

discussing this with your primary doc would probably be your best bet since you would most likely need a referral for any other specialist. he or she would know the right place to send you. speaking with the referral person at your primary clinic would help alot too.hope things are not too bad for you,please let me know how you are doing. Marcia
3-22-01,herniated C-6-7
11-20-01,placement of hardware for failed fusion
9-22-03,removal of cavernous hemangioma that was inside spinal cord. Neuro damage to L hand L leg and R leg.