View Single Post
Old 05-02-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
ms_west
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Prayer for Strength

Sorry everyone for not responding earlier. I came home and had to go take a nap to recover from everything. I have so many mixed feelings and questions so I hope this all makes sense. Feel free to ask anything if it does not make sense.

First off the terms Post Laminectomy and Failed Back Syndrome are two catch all terms that mean basically you continue to have pain after surgery and/or surgery did not work. I have post laminectomy syndrome and failed back syndrome. Some surgeries are correctable and some are not correctable.

The surgeon first examined me and then said, he felt my pain receptors have been damaged from multiple surgeries. It does not mean that I don't have pain because I do. It means that my pain receptors (nerves) has become overly sensitized. If I stubb my toe, it would proabably hurt me a little more than the average person because my nerves have been manipulated so much that they sense pain and overreact so to speak and then I need more medication to relieve the pain. Hopefully this makes sense.

He said before I go into depth more, I want an xray done then we will talk. He sent me over for flexion xrays and when I came back, he put them on the wall and kept starring at them. Then he looked at me and said, walk across to the other side of the room from me. I want to watch you walk. Then he said, come over here to this massive white board and said lean up against. He drew the outline of my body. Then drew a line down the center with a ruler. My entire body tilts to the left. Then he took me over to the xrays and see your spine. Everything is tilted to the left. Hmmmm......on the left is my hardware - I have no hardware on the right it was removed last November. It appears something is pulling my body to the left. Is it hardware or muscles ?? I have begun having upper back pain so we just found the cause of it, I am not walking straight and the spine is curving to the left so it makes perfect sense.

Then he said, look at this and showed me bones in the upper back, it is fused. He shows me this grayish/white color. Now he said look at L5/S1 that was fused in Feb. 2007 - there is no white/grayish color. Last November, my lovely surgeon , took out the hardware on the right because he thought it was irritating the sciatica nerve. I was supposedly fused enough and he added additional bmp for support. Hmmmm......... ???

Before everyone comes down on my old surgeon, sometimes it is hard to see fusion from an xray, so we have ordered a CT mylegram (GREAT! ) to verify if there is fusion or not. YIKES. If it shows no fusion, then we probably know why I have bad back pain. I have a non-union but I only have left side hardware not right.

He stated that with BMP, you should see fusion growth in 4 months.

So does anyone have an idea why I am having pain???

I won't leave you guessing until tomorrow -- I am having motion/movement of the vertebrae because I am not fused and I don't have hardware on both sides to stabilize everything.

The surgeons theory or thoughts at this stage are: when I slid the meal into the oven, my vertebrae being unstable probably moved and pinched a nerve giving me the electric shock and increased pain. Now my nerve has to settle back down again.

What does this mean? If the CT confirms this, then I have to go back to the surgery room for another fusion - Round # 5.

But on the flip side this is really good news, there is hope that my problems can be solved and hopefully I won't have a lifetime of chronic pain. He is telling me that I have a chance in his eyes to get better but because of all the surgery, I will always have some pain because of nerve damage but not as much as I am currently experiencing.

Now if the CT comes back and shows fusion, then they are going to have one messed up Diet on their hands. That will mean that this doctors theory is completely off and I for some reason I am crooked and we need to find out the cause.

Whew.....as for my pain, I am a little better. Down from a 9/10 to 7/8. Mentally, I am wiped out.

I am waiting for a scheduler to call me on the date and time of the CT.

Thank you for all your support.

Last edited by ms_west; 05-02-2008 at 12:57 PM.