View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
Liz1900
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liz1900 HB User
Prescribed Synthroid/cytomel - Question On Dosage Split

Hi,

Today I saw my endo. My lab work showed what he referred to as "normal" results - although, my Free T3 is in the low part of the normal zone. I still have terrible symptoms which I explained to him and he was willing to prescribe Cytomel along with lowering my Synthroid from .88 mcg to .75 mcg (my T4 is in the upper range so he doesn't want me to get too much). He told me to cut a 25 mcg tablet in half and take 1/2 a day which would be 12.5 mcg.

I need some advice - I have read that it is better to split your dose of Cytomel due to the fast acting nature of it. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don't want to get hyper or have heart racing by taking the whole 12.5 mcg at once. I didn't see any directions on the bottle either on whether I have to take it on an empty stomach or can take it with or near a meal. I read somewhere that taking it with food in your stomach would make it act more like the time-released version which I forgot to ask the endo about.

I definitely plan on splitting it for my first day - but wanted to get any insight into this plan on when it would be best to take the second half?

Thanks,
Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb