View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: steroids/prednisone before possible surgery? advice please.

you have gotten some really great advice from sammy here(hi sammy). the usual amount of the dosage involved when taking what i am assuming is the medrol dose pack? is usually not enough to seriously impair your ability to fully fight off infection. if you have other conditions tho i would defintiely be calling your doc about it and ask. but if you are a normally healthy person who has a normal immune system,going on that wont really make a huge impact on you.

just had one big thing to say about your surgeon? seriously,most surgeons actually welcome questions espescially when you are about to have an actual surgery done by him? that no phone call policy thing is really a rather sick thing to have in place you know what i mean? i have never ever even heard of any surgeons office having a policy like this. when you think of all the possible ramifications of possibly having something going on that could quite possibly complicate or even compromise your ability to even have a surgery done on that one day that you actually even GET to speak with your surgeon on(or just someone in his office that 'could have' seen something coming if you actually had that option to just make a simple phone call there??),its kind of a stupid policy to have,even from a liability standpoint on his end too. relying solely upon someones primary on all things that could possivbly effect someones surgery when the primary is simply not an actual surgeon or even qualified in some cases to even make that call,well things could happen ya know?

the thing i would be wondering about for you post op is if they are this way PRE op,how in gods name are you going to be treated POST op when you have really important questions that need some pretty immediate answers. every surgeon is just supposed to have that 'team' of staff in place that is supposed to be doing the questions thing as well as other things too. it does not matter just how "busy' that surgeon actually is,it is his STAFFS job to just do this for his patinets. i have been thru six seperate surgeries and an aneurysm coiling just all since 01,and i have NEVER ever seen this in any surgeons office before,even the one neurosurgeon who i really thought was a total ***.

i know your surgery is close,but have you possibly considered maybe even getting a second opinon or seeing a different surgeon? i am just concerned about YOU and how well you will be taken care of post op and with any real follow up that may need to be done with you. i know sammy has had issues with her ortho following her shoulder surgery. it DOES make a big difference in the surgeon and the staff he has that does any surgery on us.

i am not trying to freak you out here before your surgery but i would have a big problem with any surgeon who told me i could not actually call BEFORE they do an actual surgery on me if i had ANY questions about anything,ya know? sometimes you just really NEED that good solid info(immediately) that you just cannot actually get thru your primary. but one other option you may have here at this point if you DO have any actual surgical type questions is to actually call the surgical dept of the hospital where you will be having the surgery done. they would be able to probably answer the majority of any surgery questions both pre op and post op. just tell them that your surgeon does not DO questions. they probably already know that given this ridiculous policy he has and have had people already calling THEM with questions instead of the "normal" route where you can actually call a surgeons office with them?

i am assuming if you are having this surgey that you were most likely sent out some sort of info from someone in that surgical dept/hospital already with the usual surgery stuff to inform you? if so,there is always a phone number there too that they tell you you can actually call with any questions. this is just another option for you hon. this is just such a stupid and possibly dangerous policy to realistically have in place at any surgeons office. just when you think you have heard it all ya know?

hopefully mr reclusive is worth it in the surgery dept and you will be in great hands in that area. but you always have the options i mentioned and also your pharmacy. its good to have choices and options. good luck with the surgery and i hope his policy does not extend to post op care too. this is just so stupid,really. take care and i do hope things go well for you hon. please keep us posted. marcia