View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #1
mkgb
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB Usermkgb HB User
Thyroid Care and Concerns – Endocrine Balance Issues

First I am reviving an Oldie but Goodie thread series of mine. We will start with the usual as a result of the commonly asked question, ” What is optimal range and HOW do I calculate it?”

Well there is normal and optimal in ANY given hormonal/mineral range in our bodies. My family women are optimal in thryroid hormones in the 65-72% RANGE OF NORMAL. If we fall below 50% we start showing hypothyroid symptoms. If we jump above 80% and then we have hyperthyroid symptoms to fight. In the odd cases we have adrenal issues that split our issues between hyperthyroid and hypothyroid. But my family is genetically dysfunctional that way.

Now let me try and explain this in a manner that is easy to understand, 80% is still NORMAL in range; but it may be too much for someone who is optimal at 65% of range. This their TSH may be LOW normal in range or actually indicate hyperthyroid despite the FT3/Ft4 result being NORMAL.

So let us answer the “What is normal range versus optimal thyroid ranges?” question one more time:
This statistic comes from the N A C B where they determined 85 – 90 % of non-dysfunctional thyroid MALES had TSH levels between 0.89-1.1. By this statistic given various sensitivity calculations that have been refined as the technology in analysis has been refined and the knowledge of scientists and endocrinologists has improved over the year has resulted in the refinement of the .3-10(1960s-1970s.. flee from an MD that states this range.. RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN TO A NEW MD!), 0.45 – 5.5(late 1980s), .4-4.0 (mid1990s), 0.3 – 3.0 (2002). In 2006 the recommendation shifted again to 0.3-2.5, however this is not widely accepted. HECK the 2002 recommendation is still not common knowledge!

Optimal range in the actual thyroid hormone tests (FT3, FT4) is 50-80% of normal range. Women of child bearing years need to have Fts in the 60-80% range of normal. Women after menopause tend to need slightly lower Ft values in the 40-70% range. (This is just my MFM and 2 Obs knowledge on this.. trying to dig up a public access postable journal article on this information) Many MDs do not know how to determine where you are in the normal range. So here is the formula you need to know and come to love.

Given the following format:
Free T or Total T value (lower limit - upper limit)
0.85 (0.8-1.8)
Your percentage is calculated as follows:
[Your FT value - lower limit]/[upper limit - lower limit]*100 = %
[0.85 - 0.8]/[1.8-0.8]*100 = 5%

Optimal care is when your TSH is around 1 on a T4 supplement alone with Ft's are in the 50-80% range of normal. T3 supplementation such as cytomel or Armour results in TSH suppression and as a result you must gauge thyroid supplementation on your T4 and T3 hormone levels and symptoms alone.

So what can happen if your thyroid hormones are not balanced and in the optimal region for you? Well other endocrine issues may arise or malabsorption effects may aggravate your thyroid and body issues.

The main malabsorption issues that occur involve the rarely tested, must be written in minerals and vitamins: Ferritin, B12, D, and Mg.

Remember these threads are a thyroid care and concerns free for all. Share your experiences, ask your questions, and share your knowledge so that we all can learn from each other and understand the mysteries of our endocrine issues better. You know there is more to come...

MG

Sponsors Lightbulb