View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #3
Howie2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Howie2 HB User
Re: Sinus infection or just a cold?

I caught a cold from my son in October and it must have turned into a sinus infection. I went to the ENT a month ago who said I had an infection by looking in my nose with a scope. I was really congested , gagging problems breathing. Yellow was the color of the mucous.He gave me a strong Antibiotic for 10 days (Augmentum) and told me to use the neti pot, saline, and steam. I went back a 2nd time and still was congested so he added in a small dosage of predniszone for 5 days and another 10 days of the antibiotic. I went back last week and I did feel better. Still congested but not as bad. As soon as I was off the prednizone some mild congestion came back. Some yellow coming out. He did CT scan of the sinuses and looked again with the scope and said I still had junk up there. He wanted to see what he was dealing with He added a stronger dose of Prednisone for 5 days and a 3rd 10 days of Augmentem. He also added Afrin Decon gestant for 5 days. I am continuing to steam , and use the netti pot several times a day. I sound nasally still but still feel better. Not much is coming out anyway. If I blow hard sometimes. Seems its bunched up and dry in the sinuses.

Question...is this normal for Sinus infection to take so long. I am only treated for 3 to 4 weeks as I never went to the doctor originally thinking a cold. It is the winter. I just hate taking all these medications as I take 2 every day for Migraines...The doctor said sinuses sometimes are hard to get medecine in and take a while to treat. I thought yellow was not that bad for mucous only green and brown. I also have a deviated septum

Any opinions would be great,

Howie