View Single Post
Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #1
veryberry1
(female)

veryberry1 HB User
Question To thyroidectomy or not to thyroidectomy ...that is the question

Hi,

I'm new and in need of advice.

I have a 3.6 cm nodule on the left side of my thyroid and a 0.5 cm nodule on the right side. All of my blood tests are normal, so despite it's size, it works fine. My biopsy results were inconclusive. Though most of the cells seen were normal, there were some microfollicles and three-dimensional clusters. Also, my doctor noted on the ultrasound that there is a lot of blood flow to the nodule.

My doctor has recommended a complete thyroidectomy. She said that taking the left side is the only way to completely rule out cancer, and she doesn't normally recommend leaving in a thyroid nodule over 3 cm. She also said that since they'll have me open, taking out the right side will prevent having to spend the rest of my life monitoring that nodule.

I, of course, am unsure. My husband says that since they couldn't say that it is definitely cancerous, I should forget about it and get on with life. He, however, is the man who almost died from sleep apnea because he wouldn't see a doctor, so I find it hard to take medical advice from him.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb