View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #10
jennybyc
Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Doctor's mixed messages - what to do?

Hi JSHU.....you asked about how I knew I had the right surgeon. Well....the first one was the pain guy and he was a jerk. I am allergic to xray dye and he insisted that if he used it I wouldn't be affected because he was using so little and it was within the epidural space. I asked for a crash cart to be available just in case and he stormed out of the room. My allergist later told me I was right...not him.

Surgeon #2 did a 15 minute neuro exam(after my neurologist did a 1 hour exam) and decided that I didn't have sufficient deficits. I told him it was 9 am and I'm fairly good in the morning but get worse during the day. He then told me to come back another day at a later time but he doubted anything would change. I disliked his arrogance. I had traveled over 2 hours to get to his office and deserved more than come back at a later time.

Surgeon #3 was the one my neurologist really wanted me to see first but it took a long time to get in to see him. He had his resident do a full neuro workup including tests even my neuorologist didn't do. Then the surgeon came in with my MRI and explained everything in the pictures in full detail. He recommended surgery and gave me options as to what I might want to do surgically. He talked quietly and treated me like an adult and answered every question I had.

I knew I had a winner. Then I had him checked out by a friend who is a malpractice lawyer who agreed. Neurosurgeons get sued more than any other specialty and his practice was made up of people who other surgeons had screwed up. And the suits against him were well below the average.

So I had a winner!

Jenny