View Single Post
Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
lazyace
(male)

lazyace HB User
Re: Sinus surgery and septoplasty

I just had the FESS procedure yesterday, and was really on the fence about going ahead with it. I have had anxiety issues for several years and worried about the risks of surgery and not being able to breathe afterward. Fortunately, the procedure went fine, and the surgeon removed "a lot" of tissue. I had very little pain immediately afterward, and could actually breathe better than before! Over the course of the last 24 hours, I have begun to feel tired and a little light headed, which ironically, is exactly what prompted me to go ahead with this in the first place. Years of sinus infections, including the most recent that resulted in 8 weeks of antibiotics, were enough to get me to seek another solution. I had diligently tried every other medical means to conquer this, without any success.

I had read many boards and talked to lots of people who had the same procedure. As is expected, their stories ranged from amazing to horrific. But, what finally sold me was finding the right surgeon. He understood my anxieties and concerns, and calmly explained that it really wouldn't be as bad as I imagined or had heard about. So far, he is right!

The constant cycle of fatigue and malaise, coupled with the idea of taking stronger meds for the rest of my life, were less appealing than enduring what I figured would be a difficult road. However, I have to say that so far it is not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. And if you knew how anxious I am, that is really saying something.

One thing that has really helped is that the surgeon used a Merogel packing material that dissolves, in lieu of the tampon type that I have read about. I did a lot of research about packing, because of me fear of not being able to breathe through my nose. So, I made sure to find a surgeon that didn't use the conventional material. My packing is much further in my sinus cavity, so breathing through my nose hasn't been a problem.

Although I am less than 48 hours post-op (arguably the toughest period), I would encourage anyone that has suffered chronic sinus problems to find the right ENT and have the FESS procedure. Find one that has at least 10 years of experience, because the rate of surgical complications drops considerably with this procedure, as the surgeon gains experience.